Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Gallery error message

I've been doing everything as admin.
I just posted a bunch of pictures, logged out, then logged in using a Member/Moderator account.
When I chose Gallery it showed the thumbnails and below that this:

You do not have the permission to do that...Please Log In
Here you can add new Albums to the Gallery

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2013

you must give permissions to the moderator to be able to upload , go into the permissions setting and make sure you check upload download allow for the moderator .

That is not an error message it a message that the user does not have permissions to upload .

You can set special roles and special permissions as you see necessary. The only lock there is on the gallery is the permission to upload. In the edit permissions page there is Plugins-> attachment ->upload-> allow check the box to allow.

• I posted the pictures as admin but when I went to view them from a Member, Moderator account I got the error. Just had our son log in from a Member only account and he's seeing it as well.

You can change the size of the pictures in the gallery by editing the css file. Also the shape of the images and the border can be changed in the css file.

edited July 2013
  • go into the permissions setting and make sure you check upload download allow for the moderator .

The only thing I see re. upload is for plugin attachments - nothing for download and nothing Gallery-specific.
    I'd like Members to be able to create albums and upload pictures - not to delete or edit anything they didn't upload - is that possible?

• @vrijvlinder said:
    You can change the size of the pictures in the gallery by editing the css file. Also the shape of the images and the border can be changed in the css file.

OK, that's cool. I may toy with that tomorrow.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Did you set the permissions in the dashboard to allow members to upload?

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/configuration-dashboardusersrolespermissions

As with Moderators I don't see anything re. Members may Upload except as in the Plugin-attachments area - does that apply to Gallery as well? If I check that for Members and Moderators does it open a door to someone trying to load an attachment vs just a picture to Gallery?

It is not a gallery specific permission it is a plugin that uploads or downloads specific. When you install the file upload plugin you will see a download option.

You must allow members and moderators or anyone you want to allow. These are global permissions.

Only members can upload but they need to respect other people's gallery and not delete their images. If you feel the need to control this further you can create a new role for people you do not trust to respect others and simply disallow them from uploading or deleting anything.

This is a simple plugin which I made with parts of one that did not quite work well and made it work as best as possible. I am still working on improving it and my goal is to make it so each gallery is owned by the user who creates it. Much like posting a discussion. But I am not an expert and it is learn as I go so please hang in there, I will make more effort to get this option going. Maybe with some help by the others.

• You are light-years ahead of me - I am amazed how well you keep it all sorted out in your head - and sure appreciate the assistance! I set both Members and Moderators to Upload in Plugin-Attachments.
    When you get to that stage it would be good if Members could create an Album which they control - it seems to me that Gallery isn't granular enough - or do I have that backward?

• Just logged out as admin & back in Member, Moderator account & the permissions error is gone - thanks!
    Just checked a Member only account & that's fine as well ... :-)
    You are amazing ...

Well there has not been a gallery for users up till now so it is kind of an experiment. People really wanted to be able to have one so I got this to work somehow.

Someone else was talking about putting a gallery for the user profile page, that may too advanced for my level . I am just glad it works for most people. And it is not such a loss if it gets deleted since they can re upload again .

A good way to filter out bad people lol the minute they do that they get banned.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

@DavidColburn said:
    You are light-years ahead of me - I am amazed how well you keep it all sorted out in your head - and sure appreciate the assistance!

she is part computer, very helpful, and patient beyond human expectations.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• In our case it's most likely to be a careless error, or someones kid playing with the computer where it has been left logged on, but not a big thing.
    I'm sure you have plenty of projects on your plate and Gallery is a really nice asset to the Forum!
    I need to turn my attention to tweaking the css - especially to change the background from white to something less harsh - like whitepapertexture.gif and to the member database.
    Thanks again ... was at this until 1:30am est last night so need to force myself to stop earlier tonight.

• Borg? Cyborg? Or just extra-gifted? :-)

she is part computer, very helpful, and patient.

Lol , no it's called Hyperthymesia :O

• You are in rare company then ...

Aurelien Hayman

The 20-year-old is one of only a handful of people in the world with hyperthymesia, or highly superior autobiographical memory.

Sure am glad you choose to share the gift!

Now I am going to shut down else I will be too tired tomorrow to recall my own name!

Not so much a gift as it can be a hindrance. But if I don't unload the stuff I can recollect to help people if I can then it would be selfish. And it is hard to contain it anyway lmao !

does it open a door to someone trying to load an attachment vs just a picture to Gallery?

No you can only upload images , jpeg,jpg,png,gif if someone tries to upload anything other than an image they get an error message that it is not an allowed file type and lists the ones allowed.