Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What version to start with?

I'm looking to use Vanilla for the first time to setup a new forum. I found a few themes I like but they all require Vanilla 2.1 which hasn't been released yet. Does anyone know if it's close to release (in the next month), or if a beta version is stable enough to use until the offical release? I don't know where to start!

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

There are no themes that require 2.1 , as far as I know there are no themes specifically for 2.1 however they can be edited to work.

I suggest you use the stable version to start with. The others have not been released and we do not know when or if. The versions are only for testing .

Just install the 2.0.18.8 version. When the new version is stable and released you can upgrade.

• Options

Thanks for the reply. The first I tried was this one which has 2.1a in the requirements and would not install. If there is no ETA on 2.1 then I guess I'll go with the stable for the moment.

• Options

If you have some experience with css and php and can handle updating, I would play with with version 2.2 and see if it meets your needs (it may have a few bugs or inadequacies).
    I am probably within the minority, but it might save time in the long run and you don't have to "learn one version" and then learn another.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Yes it is recommended to use 2.0.18.8 .

2.1 is no longer , now it is 2.2 the next release , do not know when, but it is best to use the stable if you are just starting and avoid headaches.

Then later upgrade.

• Options

there you have it. one question, two recommendations. :)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

My recommendation is based on me not being an expert and had to learn a huge amount and still not an expert, peregrine is an expert and he can fix anything even blindfolded ...on a Tandy 1000

If you think you can fix problems like peregrine, use the 2.2 , if you want things to work out of the box, use 2.0.18.8

Or use both, install in separate subdirectories and try both at once to see which works for you the best.

• Options

Or use both, install in separate subdirectories and try both at once to see which works for you the best.

that is a great idea.

• Options
    lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

I suggest you to use 2.1 (branch "2.1" on github), since it will be release as stable (probably) soon. 2.2 is under active development so see it as not-so-stable.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@lifeisfoo

I'm not sure that is right.

I think I saw somewhere that Vanilla have stopped work on 2.1, and that the release, when it comes, will be from 2.2

I stand to be corrected on that, though.

• Options
    lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

There was an error rendering this rich post.