Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Problem with installation

QvintusQvintus New
edited July 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello out there.
I've tried to install VanillaForums through plesk on my webhost.
Everything seemed to be fine, but when I try to sign in I get this error:

Also I've noticed I'm missing an "entry" folder when I try to register.
Is this normal? Since I've tried downloading the "developer" version and I saw no entry folder there either.

If anyone can guide on my way to fixing this please let me know.

Best regards Qvintus

Comments

• Options

This mean that you server rule, are such that it is requesting something that is not routed to vanilla.

I would install it manually, I think this is better than using web host installer IMO, you don't know how up to date the installer is, and what sort of support is behind it.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2013

Also I've noticed I'm missing an "entry" folder when I try to register. Is this normal? Since I've tried downloading the "developer" version and I saw no entry folder there either.

url rarely reflect physical file structure except for static files, this isn't how modern frameworks work.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 said:
    url rarely reflect physical file structure except for static files, this isn't how modern frameworks work.

Well it's linking to:

/entry/register?Target=discussions

• Options

I think the problem is your installer, set RewiteUrls to true, without setting up appropriate server rules to reflect those urls

grep is your friend.

• Options

Personaly I would install it yourself without using a panel installer. I stay clear of them.

Or in config you can set RewiteUrls to FALSE, until you setup the server rules.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2013

Have you tried navigating to other pages? This is unlikely to work, if the server rules are not setup and you have RewriteUrls to TRUE.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Oh wow simply setting 'RewriteUrls' to FALSE seems to have fixed it all.
    I thank you big time!

• Options

@Qvintus

Yep, but do you even know what version you are running (in is at the bottom of dashboard).

What server are you running apache? If so is there a .htaccess file in the directory?

grep is your friend.

• Options

Version 2.0.17.10
    and yes there will seem to be a .htaccess in my forum directionary

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2013

Oh man, please upgrade, you do not want the version. There are critical updates.

why not start with a fresh downloaded version?

grep is your friend.

• Options

Btw what is the name of the host an the plesk version, so the core team can inform them to use a more up to date version of the forum.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Downloading and installing this "Developer" version is better ?

• Options

What is the installer called simple scripts?

grep is your friend.

• Options

@Qvintus said:
    Downloading and installing this "Developer" version is better ?

The version you have ages old, and there are security fixes that need to be applied.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Panel version 11.0.9 Update #55, last updated at July 20, 2013 06:42 AM
    my server host is server4you.com

• Options

@x00 said:
    The version you have ages old, and there are security fixes that need to be applied.

I see, just making sure I'm not downloading something that is out-dated again ^^

• Options

your version was released in may 2011.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 said:
    your version was released in may 2011.

I see, would be smart if VanillaForum Dashboard had an up-date function ^^

Thanks for letting me know!

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2013

I see, would be smart if VanillaForum Dashboard had an up-date function

This may be implemented at some point, but it has to be stable solution, which takes time.

Frameworks like wordpress were developed for years before they had auto update, facilities.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@Qvintus said:
    Panel version 11.0.9 Update #55, last updated at July 20, 2013 06:42 AM
    my server host is server4you.com

@Lincoln @Todd just letting you know so you can pass on the message so they use a more up to date version of Vanilla than 2.0.17.10. it may be a third party installer like simple scripts.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a change, but you never know.

grep is your friend.