HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Top-level categories editing

There needs to be some way to specify when your have top-level categories that are containers for child categories only - i.e. they dont have any content to show. The current options: Display root categories as headings. or not is limiting if you want the standard (and most popular) option to show sub items comma separated beneath the category title - but you don't want the category titles them-self to be clickable. This whole 'thing' of having links that lead to 'nothing' really bugs me. A link to a page that reads, 'there's nothing to see here' - is just useless (404 error-pages excepted) - when there's nothing to show logic should follow that the title is not made into a hyperlink-link. A simple checkbox in the admin section when creating each category to specify whether its to be a link or not would suffice.

Is there a setting for this or do we delve in to the code??

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
    edited July 2013

I don't think there is a setting to achieve what you are looking for. I had a similar need, with the extra requirement of a tabular layout, and I had to code the solution by hand in the theme (see screenshot below).

• yeah,
    i need to achieve something similar - i've narrowed it down to here:

http://my-supportsite.co.uk/theforums/applications/vanilla/views/categories/all.php

guess ill need to role my sleeves up

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

the simplest thing (maybe??) if you got what you want displayed, but want to avoid clickable links is to use jquery to select on link and remove anchor and add text, I would guess load jquery routine only on the categories all page.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• You can use my plugin
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/categoryheadings-plugin

You don't use root cats, instead you lock the parent of any cat no matter where they are in the hierarchy, and you can display as if it was a heading.

It doesn’t lead to nothing, it will display the subcategories.

Hasn't been tested with 2.1

grep is your friend.

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@x00 said:
    Hasn't been tested with 2.1

This functionality exists in 2.1

There was an error rendering this rich post.