Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Why does it stack the new menu items?

edited August 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

For some reason, when added menu button plugin, it wants to stack them, not side by side them, like the rest of the menu.... yet, on another site, it works right.

Incidentally, the new site that shows wrong, is copied from the one that shows correctly.

Comments

• Version 2.0.18.8

Default Theme
    Plugins:
    All Viewed
    DiscussionPrefix
    Emotify :)
    FileUpload
    Flagging
    Gravatar
    ImageResizer
    In This Discussion
    IPTracking
    Post Count
    RoleTitle
    Signatures
    Stop Forum Spam
    Tagging
    Thankful People
    Voting
    WhosOnline
    WYSIWYG (CLEditor)

I disabled the Add Menu Item mod, as I'm waiting for the web host admin to look the site over, and want him to see it looking right. If need be, can enable it later to show.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2013

It most likely has to do with your theme's css. You have not said whether it works properly with the default theme, without embedding, until you do.

You also cherry-picked the questions:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/189378/#Comment_189378

successfully avoiding question #3 in the second comment - which would have provided you more insights into your solution.

I suggest you take a good look at a firebug or chrome developer tutorial, and learn a bit about css. To me, everyone who runs a forum or administers a forum should spend a few days learning a few things, considering they will most likely be spending years maintaining a forum.

that is why I offered you the links to get up to speed on vanilla.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19915/deploying-a-new-forum-and-adding-a-theme-for-everyone

and to pinpoint the issue

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187197/#Comment_187197

and I reiterate - give yourself a day to digest the links in

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/189379/#Comment_189379

the key to debugging and solving problems is not to skip steps, take your time, and reread documentation or suggestions a few times, so you get it right.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I did state the theme I was using. Look my last post, above the list of plugins:
    Version 2.0.18.8

Default Theme
    Plugins:

However, I should have placed a line between, so I apologize for it not being clear. :)

I know css, and make web templates and SMF forum themes.
    This is not a css issue, as it does not happen in my other site, and they both are using the same plugins, and theme, since the one is just a clone of the other one. That is why I posted here, in case other users of this plugin may have had similar issues. :)

I do really appreciate the help and suggestions, and will look more into the css, even though it matches the other site's. I would also check the file that does have the menu, if I could find out what file that is, and where it is located for the default theme.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited August 2013

Link to see the installation ?

I could fix your issue in 5 minutes if I could see the problem... you can pm the link if you feel it needs to be private...

Usually when one css file does not match the design from where you got it, the template is to blame. Something as simple as a div in the wrong place...

The menu is a ul so I would look into what rules you have going on in that line, if it is not there please add it ... can't guess anymore than that without looking at the code myself..

ul#Menu{
    width:100%;
    display:inline-block;
    float:none;
    text-align:left;
    margin: 0 auto;
    }

• I found out that the reason it works on the other site, is due to it using the embed theme.
    That one does not need to be fixed, then. ;)
    The one that would, I overcame the problem in a unique way.
    Instead of menu items, I modified the header where the main logo goes, and added the two links we need with images that match the theme. Even made one stick out just a bit more than the other as a type of emphasis. ;)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@avantime4mike

Two things on the stacking in default theme.

try what @vrjvlinder said or look for

• 1) in your custom.css

in your custom.css override the margin-right for the menu and make it a smaller number of pixels in some themes perhaps.

• 2) in default.php

you can also change the xxx in 5 places and sequentially number them.  leave the rest of the statements intact - just change it from xxx to xx1 , and so on 

from 
       $Sender->Menu->AddLink("xxx" .....blah, blah
       $Sender->Menu->AddLink("xxx" .....
       $Sender->Menu->AddLink("xxx" ..... 

to 

$Sender->Menu->AddLink("xx1" .....
       $Sender->Menu->AddLink("xx2" .....
       $Sender->Menu->AddLink("xx3" ..... 

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@avantime4mike

ignore part 2 above. see the newer version of add menu.

@vrijvlinder - I'm thinking this plugin needs a new icon, WDYT :) based on discussants and clock look (the vanillicon aspect). When and if you have time and desire.

• The problem I'm having is in the default theme so there is no custom.css

edited September 2013

@perergrine how's this one ? ok I will vaniliconize one for you

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@vrijvlinder -_ you are going to kill me or cane me _-

I got confused - I wanted an icon for the memberslist enhanced plugin.
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/memberslistenh-plugin - not the add menu item :)

@avantime4mike said:
    The problem I'm having is in the default theme so there is no custom.css

@avantime4mike

You can modify default theme and custom.css - but this is better (then you can fall back on original default).

To create a theme called AvantMike

1) make a folder AvantMike like so:

/themes/AvantMike

2) copy the the contents of themes/default/about.php into themes/AvantMike/about.php

3) edit about.php

change the about.php to

$ThemeInfo['AvantMike'] = array(
       'Name' => 'AvantMike',
       'Description' => "AvantMike default theme for Vanilla.",
       'Version' => APPLICATION_VERSION,
       'Author' => "AvantMike"
    );

4) then you can modify existing style that originates from style . CSS changes can be made in your custom.css ( you can add new css for elements, override existing css, etc).

create the design folder and make a file and call it custom.css.

themes/AvantMike/design/custom.css

then you can add things like this in the custom.css and whatever else you may want to modify things.

#Menu li.Highlight a {
        border-bottom-color: #CC4D00;
        border-bottom-style: solid;
        border-bottom-width: 2px;
        color: #red;
    }

ul#Menu{
        }

#Head .Search, #Head #Search {
        bottom: 30px;  !important
    }

It's really quite simple to start playing around and creating themes. Then you can read the docs.

• I haven't yet tried any of the above suggestions but have noticed a difference between the two themes, Default and Embed with relation to the Add menu Items addon. The Embed theme allows the menu tabs to display across the full page but the default them space is restricted to the main column therefore they have to be stepped. I'll try Peregrines suggestion of creating a theme of my own if only for a bit of fun. Otherwise I think my answer might be to create a page to include the Embed them so I can have my banner back.

@avantime4mike

That can be fixed by css ....in the default theme...just create a custom.css file and stick it in the design folder of the default theme. If there is no design folder make one too. and stick it in the default theme folder. The reason this happens is the embed theme is flexible width and the default is a static width.

ul#Menu{
    }