Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Private sub-forums/topics and share bookmarks within group

Hi,

Looking for the foll features - are they available in either the base code or add-ons?
1) A user can set up private sub-forums (or private topics if that's easier to implement) that a group of users can access (I noticed a group add-on)
2) Easily invite members to join a group (via social or email invites)
3) Share with the group a list of bookmarked topics

If not, pl recommend best approach to implement this..

thanks
Kiran

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I do not know, if the plugins Groups and Membership serve your needs, but I assume they are at least the first step to your solution.
    Due to that posting, @lifeisfoo might give you an answer if those plugins could help you.

• Options

More often then not where someone has pretty specific needs they have to develop that functionality. It is possible with some programming ability.

There is ambiguity over the word forum(s). In my mind forum=community software.

I just say forum, rather than forums, the same for an 'in person' forum. So under a forum you can have (sub) categories/sections.

However you can have muliple forums with different userbases, and databases, with a technique to symlink most of the files, so you aren't wasting space and time (you can automate the setup with a script). Each could be different with different theme, and pluign if you would like.

You can do further work so you have a site login and link to these different forums with a single sign on, then you can use permissions to control, what content they can see.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    lifeisfoolifeisfoo Zombie plugins finder ✭✭✭

Groups + Memberships could be a good starting point. Obviously a not-so-small amount of work is needed to accomplish this. At my github you'll find an improved version of the Memberships plugin. Also take a look at the Friendships plugin.

1) A user can set up private sub-forums (or private topics if that's easier to implement) that a group of users can access (I noticed a group add-on)

Private topics are better (from my POV). A plugin that allows the creation of user's private topics that can be viewed only, e.g., from friends (Friendship plugin), or only from users that are in the same group of the user (Groups plugin).

2) Easily invite members to join a group (via social or email invites)

A separate plugin (requires Memberships > 0.2) that that add a link in the group page (see my version of the Memberships plugin) "Invite USER_NAME to the group". The plugin will send and email or a PM to the user with a link to accept.

3) Share with the group a list of bookmarked topics

Another plugin (requires Memberships > 0.2) that add a link or a button in every forum discussion "Share with GROUP_NAME group".

You can also model everything as an application, or using another "concept" at the base: Friendship? Membership? Following?

P.s. Currently an OSS "Group" application is in the air...I'm talking with an interested sponsor, so stay tuned (but no guarantee :-) ).

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Is Memberships>0.2 released? I found only 0.1 on http://vanillaforums.org/addon/memberships-plugin
    Also, is the Group application mentioned above available?