Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla blocking my site

hi
i had problems with the jsconnect plugin and i couldn't see my authentication options so i stupidly decided to try and reinstall vanilla
after doing do i can't get vanilla to work at all and i also can't enter my site anymore as it gets me redirected to:
http://energyui.com/index.php?p=/dashboard/setup
and i'm getting :
Some of your folders do not have the correct permissions.Using your ftp client, or via command line, make sure that the following permissions are set for your vanilla installation:
chmod -R 777 /home3/energyui/public_html/conf

the this is that folder shouldn't be there at all but in /home3/energyui/public_html/vanilla/conf

i don't know how can i complitly remove any trace of vanilla and start over?
please help it's my first time building a site :(

Comments

• I think you need to work through it step by step. I think the problem is when something doesn't work first time people panic, and do a bunch of different thing, and there is no record of what they have done.

If your server is configured correctly, and there is a clean copy, there is no reason why you could install it from scratch. However I have no idea what state thing are in.

I did try an look at it but at first thing were completely miscofigured, and now you have blank bluehost account. Or at least the last time I looked.

Next time if something is not quite working, pause and breathe, then ask.

grep is your friend.

• I found your forum, I gather you figured it out.

grep is your friend.

• no i didn't....

i used the one click installation of vanilla and i put it in different place - energyui/forum
    but now i can't log in with the new admin and even worth my wordpress doesn't work at all....

i have no idea which of the files is corrupted :/

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2013

Avoid one click installers like the plague.

Often they will install outdated versions without security fixes, and you have no idea how well implement they are.

Always better to install it yourself.

I think you really need general tech support but good luck getting it from bluehost, they are just going to read of a script, they really don't know anything.

Probably best just getting it restored from backup.

grep is your friend.

• Btw this is nothing to do with vanilla really. It might be to down to conflicting server rules, but that come under general server management. Vanilla itself hasn't broken anything, actions have.

I think people think that running websites is a walk in a park it isn't. It is a learning curve, and not everyone can learn on the job, some people do need to be taught the basics or at least read a few books.

grep is your friend.

• did you try to install vanilla in the same directory as wordpress?

That would be a good reason for it not working. If you install two different frameworks in the same directory, then they are going to overwrite each other. Some of the files with be named the same. They can't both function in the same space.

This is pure guess work of course, I have not idea what you have done.

I would start with a clean copy of wordpress, with no other directories, then install a clean copy of vanilla in another directory.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2013

what does your .htaccess files look like? the one in the web root first, then the forum one

you can post code like so

~~~
    code goes here
    ~~~

three tilde, newline then paste the code, newline and a further three tilde

grep is your friend.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@lizbovich

I'm on Bluehost, and they make it quite easy to install your forum manually.

You can either use the UnlimitedFTP app in File Management from cPanel, or (better imo) install Filezilla on your computer and use that to ftp the Vanilla files.

If you use Filezilla, you can use the FTP Accounts app in File Management in cPanel to either create a new ftp account or to get details of your ftp login (click on Configure ftp client on an existing account to get the log in details.)

In Database tools from cPanel, use either the MySQL Databases or MySQL wizard to create a blank db.

Upload your Vanill files to your chosen server, and you should be good for a clean install.

Let me know if you get stuck, and I'll try to walk you through it.

• ok wow! so much happened today
    tnx for you quick answers
    the problem was with the index file...
    i restored it and now almost every thing ok....
    i just still can't make vanilla and wordpress use the same sign in....
    but i'll try a little more and maybe open a new discussion :)

• Common mistake, make sure you keep the two things separate. They can't be installed in the same directory.

grep is your friend.