Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How can I change the text of the 'Activity' link?

I want to call the 'Activity' board something else. Anyone know how I can do that?

Thanks

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

I mistakenly thought it would be relatively simple.

it is, BUT if you read docs and wiki. you won't need hand-holding.

change right hand side of equation to what you want.

make a conf/locale.php file with this in it.

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();
       $Definition["Activity"] = "Put in new Activity Name";

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

did you try using definitions and reading the docs on localization.

as far as the url you can't without code changes, but on the view you can usually change things via definitions.

add definition and change right hand side.

millions of discussions, some in last week on how to add a definition.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Not sure what you mean by definitions and localization, but I can look at that. I thought maybe a simple edit of a php file somewhere would achieve it. Not too worried about the url so much, more interested in calling it something else in the visible menu on the page.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@sudden156 said:
    Not sure what you mean by definitions and localization, but I can look at that. I thought maybe a simple edit of a php file somewhere would achieve it. Not too worried about the url so much, more interested in calling it something else in the visible menu on the page.

that's why a forum search, a wiki read and documentation page read on localization and internationalization will explain all you need to know.

a simple php change is the absolute wrong way to do it. don't change the core, that is what definitions are for, easy changing of words.

also search for locale.php - useful for making a few changes

e.g.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/192587/#Comment_192587

• Okay, thanks @peregrine

I mistakenly thought it would be relatively simple. I will look into it in more depth. Thanks for the direction.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

I mistakenly thought it would be relatively simple.

it is, BUT if you read docs and wiki. you won't need hand-holding.

change right hand side of equation to what you want.

make a conf/locale.php file with this in it.

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

• Oh, I have been reading, I have not been lazy this past week by any means. Just not got to that yet! Even rocket science is not rocket science to rocket scientists, for the rest of us, can be a bit of a learning curve... cheers.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

no problem. it is a large learning curve. but good to here you are reading docs. I think it take months to begin to understand how to change things, and i don't mean coding, just all the options and cofigurations available - since vanilla is so easy to configure and flexible in many respects with out changing core code.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188807/#Comment_188807

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20231/how-to-become-somewhat-adept-at-modifying-vanilla-to-meet-your-needs-for-free

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net

• I think it take months to begin to understand how to change things, and i don't mean coding, just all the options and cofigurations available - since vanilla is so easy to configure and flexible in many respects with out changing core code.

I'm glad to hear that actually. I enjoy a challenge, and this is a good one, but it's useful to hear that from a 'pacing' point-of-view. I always want to do everything straight away. Still, it's coming faster than it usually does, because, I think, Vanilla is a very interesting thing to spend time on.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@sudden156 said:
    I'm glad to hear that actually. I enjoy a challenge, and this is a good one

I think you'll be disappointed. Getting productive with Vanilla is surprisingly easy ;-)

• Getting productive with Vanilla is surprisingly easy ;-)

Yes! I've just changed the 'Activity' thing. I don't know why I thought it was difficult. Thanks again @peregrine