Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to make a avatar for Vanilla Forums (downloaded version)

Hi. I run a forum using Vanilla Forums 2.1 Beta 2 and I want to make an avatar that gets assigned automatically when people sign up. How do you do this?

Comments

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Well Can I choose what icons to display?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

search the forum for default avatar, gravatars, I think you can set a default gravatar.

write a plugin that assigns avatars based on some function.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Well OK. I will clear it out. I want to assign my own avatars when users register.

"search the forum for default avatar, gravatars," is too unclear for me

• I'll post a plugin if you send a donation of $10.

it displays the icon in comments and discussions and if you have indexphotos on discussion page.

on profile page no photo is displayed, but it appears in activity as well and in members enhanced plugin, etc.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Nope. Just tell me what you mean by search the forum for default avatar, gravatars"

• edited September 2013

I can help you by hosting a wiki or forum or other site for you but no donations. Like vanillaforums.com but completely free for a trade of the plugin.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

I meant type default avatar , and other search terms in the search box and maybe it will give you insights for how to write a plugin for yourself that will accomplish what you want. or perhap someone else has the time to write something for free.

Perhaps in vanilla 2.1b2 there is a default icon, I'm just not familiar with it, and maybe someone will help you.

sorry it wasn't worth $10 for my time for you. if anyone else wants a working plugin as specified, they know what to do and I'll post it.

I've had to resort to this method of plugin development because I came to realize that my time writing plugins takes from my other time. If its not of a monetary value to you - no harm , no foul.

• edited September 2013

... In WHAT search box is WHAT i'm asking. Also: "I can help you by hosting a wiki or forum or other site for you but no donations. Like vanillaforums.com but completely free for a trade of the plugin."

If you pay for hosting, I will be able to host a sub-domain for you and I'll handle all the mysql problems. So it's basically maybe gonna be worth it especially if you don't like handling MySQL data failures. But again, it's up to you. I'm sorry if this isn't worth it for you either. P.S. Daily Backups done by me and sent to you

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

I don't have a forum and don't want a web site. but thanks for the offer.

http://vanillaforums.org/search?adv=&search=avatar&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&discussion_question=1&comment_c=1&comment_answer=1&page_p=1&within=1+day&date=

if this were a situation where your forum didn't function, i'd be glad to try to help to get you back on your feet so to speak for free. But i consider this plugin akin to cosmetic surgery - a frill in most cases.

But maybe someone else will come to the rescue and offer to donate, or will write it for you for free, etc. etc.

• @peregrine said:
    I meant type default avatar , and other search terms in the search box and maybe it will give you insights for how to write a plugin for yourself that will accomplish what you want. or perhap someone else has the time to write something for free.

Perhaps in vanilla 2.1b2 there is a default icon, I'm just not familiar with it, and maybe someone will help you.

sorry it wasn't worth $10 for my time for you. if anyone else wants a working plugin as specified, they know what to do and I'll post it.

I've had to resort to this method of plugin development because I came to realize that my time writing plugins takes from my other time. If its not of a monetary value to you - no harm , no foul.

"I've had to resort to this method of plugin development because I came to realize that my time writing plugins takes from my other time. If its not of a monetary value to you - no harm , no foul."

I understand what you're trying to say. I have the exact same situation here, but I'm not a rich person, so to me: $10 looks like a lot of money to me even though it's not that much.

• @ilovetech said:
    I understand what you're trying to say. I have the exact same situation here, but I'm not a rich person, so to me: $10 looks like a lot of money to me even though it's not that much.

I'm sorry.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited September 2013

@ilovetech said:
    Nope. Just tell me what you mean by search the forum for default avatar, gravatars"

In what language ?

Search the forum using the search bar by:

Inputing "default avatar" or "gravatar" in the search bar at the top of the page.

Or search you images files of your forum to find the default avatar and replace it with your own .

Search inside the Gravatar plugin for the default gif and replace it with your own.

Use this to keep from showing vanillicons if they do.

$Configuration['Plugins']['Gravatar']['UseVanillicon'] = FALSE;

I am sure there are more bits of useful info where I found these bits , by searching the forum for "default avatar"....

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/186381/#Comment_186381

• @ilovetech - since you seem to try to support the community, I'll provide you with this ...

or you could just try this --

it may or may not work for you - but could get you on your way.

if you don't use gravatars or vanillicons...

create a plugins /DefaultAvatar/default.php

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

// Define the plugin:
    $PluginInfo['DefaultAvatar'] = array(
       'Name' => 'DefaultAvatar',
       'Description' => 'Default avatars for all users who have not uploaded their own custom profile picture & icon.',
       'Version' => '1.0',
       'Author' => "Peregrine",
        'MobileFriendly' => TRUE
    );

class DefaultAvatarPlugin extends Gdn_Plugin {
       public function Setup() {
       }
    }

if (!function_exists('UserPhotoDefaultUrl')) {
       function UserPhotoDefaultUrl($User) {
          $webroot = Gdn_Url::WebRoot(); 
          $webhost = $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"];
          $Url = "http://$webhost/$webroot/plugins/DefaultAvatar/default.gif";
          return $Url;
       }
    }

• @peregrine Thanks! I'll start helping around once I get more knowledge into Vanilla