Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] Forum member cannot post

edited September 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have this problem. I created a member test account and when I try posting, I receive the page with the Permission Problem. I also attached a picture with the settings I have for the forum members. What box should I check in order to allow member to place a discussion on the forum?

vanilla version is 2.0.18.8

I followed these instructions http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24853/permission-error-when-creating-discussions
I added this line $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE; to config.php and I get the same Permission problems window. Any advice?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

make a totally new installation with new database.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

you need to post a complete image of the second image. Most likely you are missing permissions to post discussion and comment in the category portion of the second image which you didn't post :).

compare with images for categories in the screen shots in the link

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21620/the-default-permission-settings

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I will compare those images and if it still doesn't work, I'll come back for help. Thanks

• edited September 2013

I checked and it seems that the checked fields are the same. These are all the settings I have for the Members. What should I do?

• I can see in phpmyadmin that there is a GDN_Permission field. Should I change anything in there? Honestly I am not familiar at all with these settings so, if you can, please help me to make the right changes so that the members can post a discussion.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013
    • delete the ini files in /cache folder.
    • sign in as admin and run /utility/structure from browser
    • only open up one browser window
    • sign in as test user and try to post.

if it doesn't work, read this...

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/187197/#Comment_187197

you can find:

member role id (in role table.
    UserId in user table
    user role in user role table.

if your user is joe (userid in user table) and joe is a member (userrole table roleid) check that joe has the member role.
    then find the member role id (in role table) - which in new configurations is role id 8

then look in permission table

then look at roleid column for id of 8 and junction table column with category

follow that row till you get to

Vanilla.Discussions.Add column - a 1 indicates that they have permission to add discussions.

each category will have its own permission for a role in Vanilla.Discussions.Add

(Vanilla.Comments.Add - same idea but refers to adding comments).

Backup your database - especially if you mess with permissions table (you can mess your forum up if you editing things incorrectly)

• I'll try. I'll let you know if it worked.

• edited September 2013

I entered these links in browser (websitelink)/applications/dashboard/views/utility/structure.php and (websitelink)/utility/structure, as I wasn't sure about the right link.
    Is it right? The problem is now, as a test member, if I try to post a discussion, I get a page as in the attached image.

• @cheilenereinfo said:
    as a test member, if I try to post a discussion, I get a page as in the attached image.

No image is attached. Are you sure you followed all of peregrine's steps? His post was perfect as usual. Adding a member and giving him a role should be as easy as 1-2-3

Did you convert from other forum system or was it a clean install?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• It was a clean install of Vanilla forum. Yes, I believe I followed those steps. As I said, I am not familiar at all with php settings. Now, when I click start new discussion as a member, i get this image (this was the image I forgot to attach earlier). If I can't succeed, I will finally choose forum platform; and I am sorry for that, as I really liked the way Vanilla looked.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

that looks like a 404 not found page. Are you using a custom theme ? Try using only the default theme until you get it working.

If I can't succeed, I will finally choose forum platform; and I am sorry for that, as I really liked the way Vanilla looked.

You won't find more user friendly forum software out there but go ahead and try.

Most people who have no php or css/html knowledge or limited knowledge have similar problems at first.
    The truth is that this software is easier to learn than expected and it is oneself who complicates it by thinking it is more complicated than it really is.

If at first you don't succeed, Try and try again !!

• Yes, it's a custom theme named Fruitversion 1.1

• I switched to the standard Vanillla theme and when trying to post as a member , I get a BONK page

• I also checked in phpmyadmin and Vanilla.Discussions.Add has value "1" so, I guess the the member is allowed to post a discussion. Yhe same with the comments. As a member, it seems that I can add comments to the already created discussions. But it cannot create a new discussion. Do I have another option to solve the problem?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

I switched to the standard Vanillla theme and when trying to post as a member , I get a BONK page

so what does the Bonk error produce. You have yet to produce a page that shows error details.

read the documentation on Bonk. this is getting silly. report your steps that you did.

• all plugin disabled
    • default theme
    • core reinstalled

and bonk error showing the actual error.

no forum software is going to be easy - if you don't read the docs.

• I don't know. Anyway, just testing and testing, I deleted the entire forum by mistake. It's good I have a backup. Should I install a fresh copy of Vanilla and see if I get the same message?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

Yes.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

P.S.

A bonk error displays a page that says the word "bonk"

if you get that read underdogs signature above and click on the link

entitled What to do if I get a Bonk Error?

• Now I don't have the forum anymore, so I will try re-install it. If I get the same error, then I will try to find another solution. I don't have knowledge to change the code so I am trying to find the most simple and stable solution and with less errors.

• New installation didn't work the way I expected. I used the same database. As a member, this time the Permission problem appears but it also appears like I have a discussion. But when enter My discussions, no discussion appears.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

make a totally new installation with new database.