Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Solved] Forum member cannot post

2»

Answers

• Options

It seems that re-installing the forum with another database worked. But, can I import now the other users I that already registered? Can I use the old plugins I had? And theme?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

Awesome!

ok back up DATABASE and source before you mess too much with it, and you have a reference point!

Also beware of some themes that have default.master.php with lots of code changes, you may have problems with theme when upgrading to 2.1 (just a thought to consider)

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

The problem is, how can I find out what caused all these problems?

• Options

everytime you make a change to plugin or theme or anything else - test adding a comment with member. if you can replicate - you know what did it.

But since you don't know if the problem occurred because of a faulty install or something you did you will never know.

best to create categories - a few users in each role and see if things work beofre adding plugins and themes and changing things.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Ok. Thanks peregrine. You really head patience with me. I'll let you know what was the error when I find it.

• Options

One more question. Should I import the old database into the new one, so that I can import the registered users?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

recreate the exact categories first in the clean database and set your permissions you want.

backup the "clean database" first.

then you could try importing old database

then if you have a problem posting as a member...

import the "permission table from the clean database"

can't give you a guarantee.

• Options

Ok. I'll give it a try.

• Options

As long as you have a backup of your working installation it will be ok. Backup files and database please.

@cheilenereinfo said:

Find out how you can dump the data of the working database to .sql file

Same for data of the non-working database.

Now you can compare both .sql files.

The users that already registered are in the GDN_Users table. You can insert them in the new database, but you have to do that carefully in order not to break anything.

It All depends on how many users registered on that old database.

See if your site still works with the new theme.

Figure out what you need to do in case you get another Bonk error.

Try to install Vanilla on your local PC so you always have an extra backup

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

UnderDog said:

some good ideas

The users that already registered are in the GDN_Users table. You can insert them in the new database, but you have to do that carefully in order not to break anything.

just be aware that....
    it will break discussion counts, etc. and the UserRole table would be needed as well at the very least.

if there aren't many users and few discussions - best to email users to re-register.

• Options

I believe this is the best. I tried to import the old database into the new one and some importing errors appeared. Posting as a member still works, and that's good