Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Spam filter by words?

My forum uses a system whereby applicants have to post a short reason why they want to join the site, then I can pick out the real people with real reasons from the spambots, who pretty much all use either the same non-specific 'I want to join forum' message, or a link.

so, every day, I have to go through the list and pick out the real people from the dozens of spambots, and I'm wondering, is there anything I can download and add to the application for membership section that'll filter out and auto-delete people using certain words and phrases?

Comments

• Options

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2013

I use registration logger in combination with BotStop, and it has pretty much stopped all spambot applications.

This is the log entry just for today. The applicants who use key words don't get logged, just deleted.

• Options

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@whu606

your list shows mostly spammers from   CHINANET  and one from Texas.

you could block ip cidr blocks in .htaccess if you don't think you will get much forum users from china.  

or add the ips or ranges via the readme in the plugin (as you probably do).

----

NetRange:       64.31.0.0 - 64.31.63.255
    CIDR:           64.31.0.0/18

OrgName:        Limestone Networks, Inc.
    OrgId:          LIMES-2
    Address:        400 S. Akard Street
    Address:        Suite 200
    City:           Dallas
    StateProv:      TX
    PostalCode:     75202
    Comment:        http://limestonenetworks.com/
    Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/LIMES-2

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE1804-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName:   Abuse
    OrgAbusePhone:  +1-214-242-3600 
    OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse@limestonenetworks.com
    OrgAbuseRef:    http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ABUSE1804-ARIN

-----

inetnum:        110.88.0.0 - 110.91.255.255
    netname:        CHINANET-FJ
    descr:          CHINANET FUJIAN PROVINCE NETWORK
    descr:          China Telecom

send spam reports  and abuse reports
    remarks:        to abuse@fjdcb.fz.fj.cn
    remarks:        Please include detailed information and
    remarks:        times in UTC

----

inetnum:        222.76.0.0 - 222.79.255.255
    descr:          CHINANET fujian province network
    descr:          No1,jin-rong Street
    descr:          Beijing 100032

remarks:        Please include detailed information and
    remarks:        times in UTC

---

Shanghai YiXun Information Technology Co., Ltd. FORKN-199-87-229-16 (NET-199-87-229-16-1)
    199.87.229.16 - 199.87.229.23
    199.87.228.0 - 199.87.231.255

222.76.0.0 - 222.79.255.255
    descr:          CHINANET fujian province network
    descr:          No1,jin-rong Street

---

120.40.0.0 - 120.43.255.255
    descr:          CHINANET FUJIAN PROVINCE NETWORK
    descr:          No.31,jingrong street
    admin-c:        CH93-AP
    tech-c:         CA67-AP
    remarks:        send spam reports  and abuse reports

---

125.122.128.0 - 125.122.255.255
    netname:        CHINANET-ZJ-HZ
    descr:          CHINANET-ZJ Hangzhou node network
    descr:          Zhejiang Telecom

remarks:        send spam reports to antispam@dcb.hz.zj.cn
    remarks:        and abuse reports to antispam@dcb.hz.zj.cn
    remarks:        Please include detailed information and times in UTC

----

It would be interesting to know if others are getting spammed by these same ips.

Yes, i know they can move around just curious.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    kitutalkitutal New
    edited September 2013

I'd rather not block all of china or anything like that, just to lose a few of the spam-bots. it just seems, when I'm going through that day's list of 200 new 'applicants' and most of the bots have given the exact same 'reason' for wanting to join the site, if I could set it to filter out everyone that posts that same message, I'd save a lot of time and effort.

• Options

@kitutal said:
    I'd rather not block all of china or anything like that, just to lose a few of the spam-bots. it just seems, when I'm going through that day's list of 200 new 'applicants' and most of the bots have given the exact same 'reason' for wanting to join the site, if I could set it to filter out everyone that posts that same message, I'd save a lot of time and effort.

well since you haven't entered your info in the poll, i can't help. but if you did, perhaps I could, but we are going around in circles.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@kitutal

if I could set it to filter out everyone that posts that same message, I'd save a lot of time and effort.

@shadowdare gave you a link to a plugin (by that very nice @peregrine) that does just that in the first reply.

Have you even tried it?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@whu606 said:
    very nice @peregrine

peregrines can be nice, unless of course you happen to be a pigeon, then you might get eaten!

Have you even tried it?

told you we were going in circles :).

maybe I'll try this :

@kikutal DON'T enter any information here (because it might help somebody or it might solve your problem).

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/24785/poll-which-registration-method-and-plugins-do-you-use-to-deter-spammers-and-their-efficacy

reverse psychology. :).

• Options

I'm running the plug-in now, see how it goes. I was a little put off by the dramatic 'make sure you read all the instructions carefully and only use this if you know exactly what you're doing' part, but it seems simple enough

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

I'm running the plug-in now, see how it goes. I was a little put off by the dramatic 'make sure you read all the instructions carefully and only use this if you know exactly what you're doing' part, but it seems simple enough

I was getting tired of people who don't read instructions and asking questions that were already answered. i'd rather scare away people, so I don't have to field questions from the demographic of the population that don't read instructions.

• Options

it works perfectly, thank you :D I've gone from around 200 spam applicants a day, to one in the last three days.

• Options

@kitutal

it works perfectly, thank you :D I've gone from around 200 spam applicants a day, to one in the last three days.

great. now you can answer the questions in part B of this link...