Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

@reply with "+" not working as expected

Hi guys,

This might've been asked / answered already, but I couldn't find anything, so apologies in advance.

If a user name has a space, e.g. "John F", hitting the reply link will automatically populate the text box with "Reply to @John+F", but only John is linked, not the whole user name, John F. So essentially, the user "John" (if he exists) is replied to, instead of the intended poster, John F.

Is this behaving as expected? I assume the whole username should be highlighted.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hi, yes this problem has to do with the fact that the name has a space in it.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Hi, yes this problem has to do with the fact that the name has a space in it.

Yes, I realize that. Is there a solution for this though? Either have ReplyTo read the + as a space and link appropriately, or force users to have no spaces in their usernames?

If the latter, is that feature built-in to Vanilla? (i.e. an error msg that alerts new users 'your username must be one word, no spaces')

edited October 2013

force users to have no spaces in their usernames is the easiest approach . Yes you can set it up so it does not allow spaces in the name.

You can also ask them to add a dash or an underscore or a dot to join the names.

this thread will help you modify the code to disallow spaces.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23312/wrong-error-with-member-registration

@UnderDog , can the name of this thread above be changed to "How to disallow/allow spaces and others in user Names"
    instead of wrong error with member registration?
    thanks

• Thanks @vrijvlinder, that discussion has provided a bit more insight. I'm using jsConnect, so a member's username is created automatically.

Is there a way to also automate the removal of spaces in usernames (or replacement w/ an underscore or dot) during this automatic creation?

you mean the ones stored in the database that have spaces in the names?

You can go into the Database and change the names by hand if they are not too many. You can try to apply the same principle from the default registration onto the jsConnect plugin . I am not very familiar with it but likely @x00 will know more.

• thanks @vrijvlinder. i will ask under that add-ons questions thread.