Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

admin.css theming my contact form page - can I change?

Hi @vrijvlinder,

Thanks for another great plugin :)

Please could you tell me if it's possible to detach the admin.css theming from Contact?
I am using a custom theme - based on Grayscale Blue, but heavily modified. I am struggling to theme my Contact page to match the rest of my site.

I can't see where admin.css is linked, but when I inspect the elements I can see that admin.css is determining the scheme.

I'm probably missing something painfully obvious!

I'm using 2.0.18.8

thanks,
Lisa.

Comments

• not quite the answer you are looking for, you can make a customadmin.css to override admin.css

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks @peregrine.
    I tried that briefly and completely cocked my admin screen up! :)
    I shall have a play with it and see what can come up with.

Thanks!

• Perhaps, what you really want to to do is modify or change contact.css in the plugin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Yes, I've tried that too and it doesn't make any difference.

I can see in the .php files that style.css & contact.css are both linked.
    I've tried swapping all the info across on various sheets, but can't seem to make it work for me.

All I can say is thank goodness for backups! :)

• don't know what you mean by linked.

anything in contact.css with !important or more specificity should override another .css file no matter what the name.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#specificity

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

This only happens when using the admin theme switcher as far as I know. To override the admin theme whatever it is, just follow what peregrine said and add !important to the stubborn parts also check the admin theme in the dashboard/design/ folder and get rid of anything that has !important in it.

• Thankyou @vrijvlinder & @peregrine!

I shall try it now, and let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

not a bad idea, to delete your ini files from cache folder on server after changing css and theming

The Parts I notice that stubbornly show from the admin.css are the Foot and the pop up and sometimes the content width. Also some input buttons look like the admin.css.

It happens when the same css classes are used. And since the admin.css is in the dashboard/design folder it tries to supersede other styles. The custom.css gets picked up first but some other rules from the admin.css may show if they are not present in the custom.css to override them.

Example: I did not add a border on the content for the plugin but the admin.css has a border, then it will show unless I add border:none!important;

I ended up writing up the overriding rules on the plugins css to counter act the admin.css. Those who have their own page, like ExtraPage etc.

Also find and replace in mass the admin.css all the stuff that has !important in it.

• It worked absolutely perfectly!!

I'm so glad I can rely on your brains @vrijvlinder & @peregrine!

That's one of the most important things I've learned about css (putting !important after the closing semi-colon ; in css to override other stylesheets)

Pun intended :)

Again, thank you so much for your help! You guys are so quick too!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2013

I think before the closing ; is the preferred way. but whatever works for you. as was pointed out by pamela.

Yes the !important goes before the closer like bellow

background:none transparent!important;

• Here I go again being a dumb*ss! ;)

I meant before, not after - I've just double checked my sheet and I have done it the right way :)

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

just remember, over-use of !important is bad.

if everything is !important, then nothing is !important.

sort of like having a 50 item priority list with 50 items that are priority 1. what do you start working on?

• That, @hbf, is a very good point

• I'm having the same issue and finding sorting the css out interesting (and difficult). It appears to hide any images from the footer - I have a logo in it which quite important.
    All the above information has been invaluable however I MUST remember than !important doesn't mean NOTimportant as that's how I read the ! character. ;-)

Many thanks all the respondents to this thread.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited November 2013

@demsley said:
    I MUST remember than !important doesn't mean NOTimportant as that's how I read the ! character. ;-)

I always have to look if it is "important!" or "!important". Thanks to you, I will never have to think about that again :)