Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Enable Real-Time Upload Bar.

So I want to have real-time upload bars, but it sends me to a link about PHP documentation. Can anybody actually explain how to enable real-time upload bars in detail?

Comments

• edited October 2013

What version of Vanilla do you use, and what are you talking about? If this is about File Upload, I would ask if a member of staff relate this to the FileUpload addon please

• @ilovetech said:
    What version of Vanilla do you use, and what are you talking about? If this is about File Upload, I would ask if a member of staff relate this to the FileUpload addon.

Yes it is the FileUpload add-on, my bad for not clarifying

• What version of Vanilla?

• I'll research this and do it on my own Local Server.

• @ilovetech said:
    What version of Vanilla?

Version 2.0.18.8

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited October 2013

The real-time upload bar requires PHP APC. If you have access to your web server PHP config files and if you're using PHP 5.4 or older, see if APC is installed and set apc.rfc1867 = on in the php.ini config file. If you have shared web hosting, you may have to ask your web hosting provider to check this.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• @Shadowdare said:
    The real-time upload bar requires PHP APC. If you have access to your web server PHP config files and if you're using PHP 5.4 or older, see if APC is installed and set apc.rfc1867 = on in the php.ini config file. If you have shared web hosting, you may have to ask your web hosting provider to check this.

So I called my host and they verified that PHP APC is enabled on my server. Is there anything else I have to do to get the upload bar to work?

• not just apc but that specific setting

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    not just apc but that specific setting

Called my host, and actually found out I have access to a php.ini file on my server. So I added the line apc.rfc1867 = on to the file but I am still told realtimeUpload Bars are unavailable.

edited October 2013

To confirm that the setting is set, please create a file called test.php, add this code to it, and upload it to the root of your website.

test.php

<?php

echo 'apc.enabled = ' . ini_get('apc.enabled') . "\n";
    echo 'apc.rfc1867 = ' . ini_get('apc.rfc1867') . "\n";

?>

Please go to the page and copy and paste the output here. You may delete the file afterwards.

• @Shadowdare said:
    To confirm that the setting is set, please create a file called test.php, add this code to it, and upload it to the root of your website.

Please go to the page and copy and paste the output here. You may delete the file afterwards.

apc.enabled = 1 apc.rfc1867 = 0

So it says that the option is false. That's weird..... in the php.ini file on my server I added the line exactly as:

apc.rfc1867 = on

• Whenever you make changes to the php.ini file, you need to restart the web server. Does your host have a way for you to restart PHP or the Apache web server?

• @Shadowdare said:
    Whenever you make changes to the php.ini file, you need to restart the web server. Does your host have a way for you to restart PHP or the Apache web server?

I guess I'll give them a call.....

• @Shadowdare said:
    Whenever you make changes to the php.ini file, you need to restart the web server. Does your host have a way for you to restart PHP or the Apache web server?

Well they said I had to change it to php5.ini because they don't support php.ini (but left the old one just in case) and was told they automatically restart every 90 minutes. So I guess in less than 90 minutes the changes will happen.

edited October 2013

Please report back if the changes do work. What web host are you using by the way if you don't mind my asking?

• @Shadowdare said:
    Please report back if the changes do work. What web host are you using by the way if you don't mind my asking?

godaddy

• @Shadowdare said:

It worked, thank you so much!