Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can someone explain how bookmarking works?

Since I haven't figured out the solution to my problem of each new discussion being automatically bookmarked & emailed to me (despite having turned off all email notifications) I was trying to look through the documentation of Vanilla to learn just how the whole bookmarking feature works. I couldn't find anything in the documentation.

Can someone explain it to me or point me to the place in the documentation files that explains it?

This problem of all my users getting an email every time someone starts a new discussion is getting frustrating.

Comments

• jeongweejeongwee Vanilla version 2.6 ✭✭

:o its sad, hope someone can help you solve it.

• @LeftBrain I'm gonna go in research to find out how to solve your problem, but anyway, how bookmarking works

A bookmark is essentially a way of subscribing to a discussion. Let's say I have a discussion about Staying away from Cigarettes and one of my users bookmark it. This means that the user who bookmarked it gets email notifications on new comments. A bookmark will show up in My Bookmarks and is essentially the easiest and best way in Vanilla to subscribe to / bookmark a discussion

• What is your vanilla version, @LeftBrain

• @ilovetech - thanks for the answer. I actually understand that aspect of bookmarking. What I was wondering was more technical. Like how does Vanilla know that a discussion has been bookmarked? What is the variable? And how does the variable get turned on or off when the discussion is posted?

The version of Vanilla that I'm using is 2.0.18.8

• edited November 2013

@LeftBrain said: Like how does Vanilla know that a discussion has been bookmarked?

It should be stored in the MySQL database Vanilla uses. I'm experimenting with my own local MySQL Service

• @LeftBrain Basically, what @hbf said may solve ALL of your questions. Like how does Vanilla know that a discussion has been bookmarked? (The answer is: It is stored in the table, GDN_UserDiscussion in the database)

What is the variable? (The answer is: The Bookmark Variable in the GDN_UserDiscussion in the database)

And how does the variable get turned on or off when the discussion is posted? (The Answer is: Every time some favorites it, it adds a new entry in the table with the UserID who bookmarked it, The DiscussionID it was bookmarked in, DateLastViewed the date last viewed, and 1 means Bookmarked by the user, and it will change to 0 if the user deletes the bookmark but the entry will not be deleted)

(As far as I experimented with the database)

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

correct.. all answers were present in my post. that's why it was stated so succinctly.

The answer to each of his questions is GDN_UserDiscussion

Every time a user has any interaction with a discussion the appropriate row is either created or updated. Bookmarking, viewing, etc.

• That's what I thought, but thanks for confirming, @hbf