Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla 2.0.18.8 here vs Github -- any difference?

Hi

I just downloaded vanilla from the download link here.
It is not very good and has few bugs and i am not able to run it properly

Does github have that minor bugs fixed?
Or both have same unmodified files?

I tried to download the master from github which gave 2.2.4
In case, If i host 2.2.4, can i get help from here?

I tried to download 2.0.18.8 and which was named as bump.

Or do you provide stable version for forums hosted with vanillaforums.com?

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@mahesh

Welcome to the community.

It is not very good - that isn't what most people find

and has few bugs - without examples that isn't very informative

i am not able to run it properly - that seems more likely to be the issue, if I'm honest.

If you want your forum to be managed for you, then going with the hosted solution is probably the best option.

You should not download any of the Beta versions of Vanilla unless you are sure you know what you are doing, and certainly not until you have got 2.0.18.8 working to your satisfaction.

• Options

@mahesh most of the problem you are having are related to problem with plugins or user interface problems on your android device rather then vanilla.

You should not be using the beta at all unless you are an experienced developer/tester. 2.2.4 is not even beta so you should not be using it at all on a production site.

If you want help don't bite the hand the feeds you, try an be as helpful as you can, becuase we are just joe public here, volunteers.

vanillaforums.com has a higher level of support becuase you’re not hosting it. They have pre-approved pluigns, so they are expected to work. However you don't have the same development capability. If you are interested in vanillaforums.com ask over there.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Thanks to the replies.

Yes, I think the plugins are making the problems. But i use plugins which are approved.
    Additionally, Will there be any difference between github 2.0.18.8 and here?

Quotes working and hot highlighted. It is not looking like quoted post. (In css, background color should fix it. But why stable version has such a problems?)
    Twitter login is not working
    Google login is not working
    Login page redirects to registration page.
    When click the post comment button, It does an ajax post and reloads the page(?). But i saw it is working good in 2.1b and 2.2.4(b?)

I could fix them by spending some time.
    But I believe it will become beta. I might fix something which i should not touch.

I haven't read the complete code.
    I don't want to touch the code myself on a stable version.

Thanks for the help.

• Options

You need to learn to debug it...
    Take a look in your servers error logs /var/log/apache2/error.log could give you some hints on what's wrong...

Again the github 2.2.4 stuff is only developers and is supposed to be work in progress, and doesn't work so don't use it.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@mahesh

The problems you are having are to do with your set up, not core Vanilla, and probably not the plugins either.

Given that lots of people have those plugins working with Vanilla 2.0.18.8, you should consider the likelihood that the problem lies with you, and not the software.

Simply saying 'X is not working, Y is not working' is not going to allow anyone to help you.

If you have a problem with a specific plugin, check that plugin's page to see if someone has posted a similar question.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

i bought a frozen pizza, placed it into the oven. the pizza is burnt now, my oven is defective.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@hbf said:
    i bought a frozen pizza, placed it into the oven. the pizza is burnt now, my oven is defective.

You should have used coldbread 2.0
    Ovenpizza 2.1 is only for expert pizza bakers

• Options

@hbf said:

Get a new oven! ;)