Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

BONK error when previewing any theme other than default

I'm getting a BONK error when I preview other themes in 2.0.18.8 eg. mobile theme etc.

This was working fine before I did a SQL database restore.

I've also noticed the custom.css file is missing from the 'default' theme folder/designs, but the other themes all have that custom.css file in their respective folders.

Has anyone come across this before ?

Best Answer

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013 Answer ✓

@timotides said:
    Nope still not working after removing karma bank 'i like' fields...

Honestly guys thank you so much for your help - I'm happy with what I've got now and don't want to waste any more of your valuable time. Honestly thanks so much I really didn't think anyone would bother responding in the first place so big thanks!

No problem with me.

however following these steps in the link provided gets you to the root of the issue 99% of the time.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

not worth running a crippled vanilla forum, but your choice.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

well did you follow these instructions.

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/errors

and on the wiki link that was previously provided to you.

and then post your error message.

saying you get a Bonk tells us absolutely nothing.

you need add the config statements. to find out what the error is.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Hi Peregrine - thanks for getting back to me. :)

After running the error script, I get the following message:

Fatal Error in LikeThis.Base_BeforeDiscussionMeta_Handler();

This seems to be the culprit (marked in red):

82: echo $Src;

Do you know if I can just remove that line or ?

• Options

you need to post the entire message

place it between ~~~ tildes or sandwich it between <code> tags.

your error message

• Options

Full error msg:

Fatal Error in LikeThis.Base_BeforeDiscussionMeta_Handler();
    Undefined variable: Src
    The error occurred on or near: /plugins/LikeThis/default.php

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

disable the "I like this" plugin and see if you have a problem.

• Options

Thanks again - I just tried that and it didn't help. :(

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

well if you disabled it. it wouldn't show that particular error message, one would assume, because it refers to like this plugin when it is enabled.

• Options

You would think so yes... I'm at a loss now - thanks so much for your help, I think I'll just have to stick with the default theme which is actually fine. Just weird that it was working before and now not since the SQL restore.

• Options

what you could do is disable the likethis plugin and totally delete the folder after the plugin is disabled. If you still get the same exact error. either you didn't do what I said to do, or you are not doing it correctly.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I've also noticed the custom.css file is missing from the 'default' theme folder/designs, but the other themes all have that custom.css file in their respective folders.

The default them does not have a custom.css because it is the default theme. However you can create a custom.css file and stick it in the design folder of the default theme. The style.css resides in dashboard/ and should not be edited.

I just tried that and it didn't help.

you must clear the caches from ini files in the cache folder.Check your config.php that it has those plugins disabled, that they either are not on the list or say False . If they are enabled, and say True, then change that to False and see if that cleared the matter.

If it did, then remove the plugin but not from the dashboard, delete it from the file manager but only after you have disabled it from the config.php

• Options

Okay I did as you said peregrine:

disabled 'I like' plugin
    deleted 'I like' folder off the database
    cleared out all the .ini files from the cache

Then I did as vrijvlinder suggested and checked the config.php file and there was no trace of the file there.

I then tested the theme preview in multiple browsers so click theme preview eg. mobile or embed-friendly and it takes me to a bonk screen.

The only other thing that I can think of is there are some variables for the 'I like' feature being used in the Karma bank plugin - I'll try removing them to see what happens...

• Options

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

• Options

Honestly guys thank you so much for your help - I'm happy with what I've got now and don't want to waste any more of your valuable time. Honestly thanks so much I really didn't think anyone would bother responding in the first place so big thanks!

• Options
    edited November 2013

When all else fails, disable all the plugins that did not come with Vanilla. Make sure you have all the correct files.

Removing parts of a plugin without knowing what you are doing will not yield good results. Just disable then purge the cache files, not the Smarty folder just the ini files. (Make sure there is a Smarty folder with a compile folder inside it and those inside the cache folder.

Make sure your mysql credentials are the correct ones in your config.php the database name and user and pass must match.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013 Answer ✓

@timotides said:

No problem with me.

however following these steps in the link provided gets you to the root of the issue 99% of the time.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/188810/#Comment_188810

not worth running a crippled vanilla forum, but your choice.

• Options

TBH I've been a bit over my head with this as you can probably tell and have been working day/night to make it work for the past week. Everything is functional now and with the default theme which I've worked with from the beginning so no problems there.

Maybe I should have just gone down the easy route with a 1-click install of SMF, but i've learned a lot and have (on the whole) enjoyed building something a little more custom. TBH without this support community, I wouldn't have got anywhere (although you could argue that would have been the better alternative to save you guys the bother! lol).

I'll accept your last answer peregrine as I'm sure you are right and once again, thank you, I'm sure I'll be back. :)

• Options

Maybe I should have just gone down the easy route with a 1-click install of SMF

lol that is not an easy route, trust me I went there.... it was not fun

• Options
    timotidestimotides New
    edited November 2013

Okay just to follow up here in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue, I have a fix as highlighted in this topic: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/155906/#Comment_155906

All you need to do if you don't have these folders existing in the "cache" main folder is create these:

Smarty/compile

NB. make sure "Smarty" folder is with capital 'S'

This has solved the issue of BONK screen when previewing new themes.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

glad you solved your issue AND

In that you provided your solution for other posters that may run into the issue, that makes you a valuable poster.

followups are good for the forum