Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

whizz kid required.....to create a great forum!

are there any peeps out there with a full understanding of the vanilla 2.0 platform that can create, develop and manage a great new forum?
if so i need your help!.....I am looking for a skilled freelancer to help with a project.....please make contact via PM.....

Comments

• Options

@Lee1975 I can help you. I host my own Vanilla Forum on the web. Watch for a PM from me. What version are you using?

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2013

@ilovetech he is looking for an experienced developer, not someone who just hosts, and tinkers.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Lee1975

if you are looking for all three of creation development and management, then you should really look at the Vanilla hosted solution.

@ilovetech

You need to stop offering yourself as a developer. You are nothing of the sort.

• Options

I was hoping there was someone on here that could help me out!....people skilled with vanilla are hard to find!!!!
    and I dont need a "tinker"......and I have my own hosting!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@Lee1975 said:
    I was hoping there was someone on here that could help me out!....people skilled with vanilla are hard to find!!!!
    and I dont need a "tinker"......and I have my own hosting!

maybe if you explained exactly what you are seeking and and your budget, you would get more takers.

I may not be speaking for others, but "looking for whizz kid or guru" makes me ignore message.

also - many of us don't want to waste the effort for someone saying they will pay for something only to find out they don't want to pay (but used it to get replies), or they want to pay $5 for 100's of hours of work. so a definition of what you want and a budget would be best.

if you do a search for "looking for developer" or similar searches you will find out why you may not be getting responses.

http://vanillaforums.org/search?adv=&search=developer+needed

good luck. and I hope you find someone to fit your bill.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Would you share more details about the project you plan to create?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

I'm a wizkid, i got my own forums! ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    edited November 2013

@whu606 I've been spending a while coding in Visual Basic and started by own Software Development company but I took it down (my point is that I am a developer, just not a "Vanilla Developer")

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@ilovetech said:
    whu606 I've been spending a while coding in Visual Basic and started by own Software Development company but I took it down (my point is that I am a developer, just not a "Vanilla Developer")

care to share examples of some of the projects you've worked on? maybe a full program you've written? What type of Visual Basic do you have experience with? VBS, VBA, VB.NET... What credentials, certifications or degrees do you have?

I don't call myself a "developer" and I've been programming for 20+ years.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

lee, peregrine is right, there are lots of guys (and gals) around here with the requisite skills to take on a project. but "I'm looking for a freelancer, pm me" usually just means you're looking for someone to basically work for free. Follow the link in my sig, it explains a rough "fair trade value" of work from my perspective. i'm probably not available due to the total fiasco im still dealing on my site. heck, i'm probably going to switch platforms if i dont get a solid answer on my issue. but that's my problem, not yours.

you can use the category definitions to help quantify what you are asking for. and check references on whomever you go with. look at their site, check out their quality. dont get duped by a 12 year old with an over active imagination and a free x10 hosting account.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Don't make me believe the world is that bad...

If you've got a vision and you can transport it sympathetically, I'll be happy to help you!

Well, under the restriction that I'm just a hobby coder and far away from being a developer (although I'm an Excel god, firm with VBA and even had a self hosted forum once)

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited November 2013

@R_J said:
    Don't make me believe the world is that bad...

If you've got a vision and you can transport it sympathetically, I'll be happy to help you!

Well, under the restriction that I'm just a hobby coder and far away from being a developer (although I'm an Excel god, firm with VBA and even had a self hosted forum once)

I think that is a fine and fair offer.

I'll help him pro bono if he can transport his vision telepathically.

• Options

I'd burn him if he could do that.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited November 2013

@R_J said:
    I'd burn him if he could do that.

it would be too late.

• Options

I would prefer the indirect and unsuspicious way

• Options

@ilovetech it is admirable that you want to help, however if you wish to be a professional developer you have to old enough to handle your own financial affairs, pay taxes, deal with contracts etc. Or at least have someone supervising that.

I think it great that you are really interested, and keen to learn however I don't think you are quite there yet.

The OP is interested in professional help, probably advanced php with fair amount experience in the framework, if not definitely an experienced enough developer to know all the quirks of running a professional website, and familiar with how to work appropriately on this framework.

I think if the OP took you on alone, you would try your best, but I don't think you have enough experience in all the technical pitfalls. As this is a business there would be legal implication is things went wrong.

Though I don't want you to give up on the idea entirely. There aren't enough kids learning to program. I would encourage you to continue, get you parent or guardian to support you, through some courses/tuition.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

start small, dream big. let your actions take you to your goal, not your ego.

• Options

@hbf and Actually, since you asked, I will try to find my calculator that I made and share it. I used VB.NET