Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Spam And more spam

SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

Many topics have sparked my attention mostly they are about spam. I decided to do an experiment, I payed for a host (Name I shall not state due to certain circumstances) It was pretty cheap $5.00 A month. Installing Vanilla I decided to share it on random websites. The host gave me statistics on who visits my site, of course I did not believe them or maybe I did. A simple PHP script saved the IP of users visiting my website. About 500 Hits in under an hour and stats on host never updated (Even till now they remain Statuary, though When I proxy those Results save). Disabling Registration approval on Vanilla I got flooded with spam 1000 of topics were created. Then I went to a different host $25.00 a month (With DOS,DDOS, Spam and other nifty features) Did the same thing, Statistics were updated, every time a different user came (IP) and spam never happened.

Thoughts on this guys? Do cheap hosts sell you out? OR do they just dont "Care"

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

very insightful Srggamer. Probably has to do with, more expensive hosts have the ability to apply income to better research and development and software and hardware. Doesn't mean they will, but they will certainly have deeper pockets, if it is based on income received per capita

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

@peregrine said:
    very insightful Srggamer. Probably has to do with, more expensive hosts have the ability to apply income to better research and development and software and hardware. Doesn't mean they will, but they will certainly have deeper pockets, if it is based on income received per capita

Or the host wants more money for losing up protection to allow spammers to spam you more?

Spam

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

As always, it's caveat emptor, imo.

I run a football fan forum. We don't monetise the site in any way, so the hosting costs come out of my pocket.

In our circumstances, a regularly used and moderated forum, I'm happy to pay less, and not get the protective bells and whistles.

Thanks to @peregrine and his amazing Registration Logger plugin, the number of spam applications is close to 0, and easily managed.

@whu606 said:
    As always, it's caveat emptor, imo.

I run a football fan forum. We don't monetise the site in any way, so the hosting costs come out of my pocket.

In our circumstances, a regularly used and moderated forum, I'm happy to pay less, and not get the protective bells and whistles.

Thanks to peregrine and his amazing Registration Logger plugin, the number of spam applications is close to 0, and easily managed.

Wow! Thats really cool! How many users? (Out of intrest)

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Srggamer

We've had over a thousand genuine registrations, with probably about 100 or so regular/occasional contributors.

The forum registers between 8-10 000 unique visitors each month and about 25- 30 000 visits, if Awstats is to be trusted.

We have a lot more readers than writers.

@whu606 said:
    Srggamer

We've had over a thousand genuine registrations, with probably about 100 or so regular/occasional contributors.

The forum registers between 8-10 000 unique visitors each month and about 25- 30 000 visits, if Awstats is to be trusted.

We have a lot more readers than writers.

Thats amazing! Congrats! For no or mostly no spam!