HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Help Make Activities and Notifications more Localizable

2»

Comments

• edited September 2012

In Hindi

1. आप ने Help Make Activities and Notifications more Localizable पर टिप्पणी की |
    2. Todd ने Help Make Activities and Notifications more Localizable पर टिप्पणी की |
    3. Sheila ने Help Make Activities and Notifications more Localizable पर टिप्पणी की |
    4. Todd, Tim और Sheila ने Help Make Activities and Notifications more Localizable पर टिप्पणी की |

In Devanagri script, the | sign is used to end sentences. I have not translated the names themselves because I thought that was unnecessary. And yes, I understood today how crap Google Translate is :)

आप = You

ने = A connector specifying the Subject, or the one doing the actions.

पर = On

टिप्पणी = Comment

की = Do, present tense.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Hey @pawandubey, the Hindi translation needs a team.

• @Todd said:
    Hey pawandubey, the Hindi translation needs a team.

I am game. But one man maketh a team not.

• @Todd I think I can get involved. How do I start?

• @pawandubey if you go to the transifex site and make a username, log in and then go to this link:https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/vanilla/language/hi_IN/

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited December 2012

One more issue. When counting years in Russian, the word for "year" changes depending on the number of years being spoken about, and not just a plural ending for "years", but the whole word is different when there are less than five years.

• what about throwing a custom setlocale in each of the definitions.php in the transiflex add-ons. Then if the user has the proper locale installed on the system they would have less to change.

e.g. in the spanish catalan - setlocale(LC_ALL, 'es_ES.utf8', 'es_ES', 'es');

<?php

$LocaleInfo['vf_ca_ES'] = array (
      'Locale' => 'ca-ES',
      'Name' => 'Catalan (Spain) Transifex',
      'Description' => 'Catalan (Spain) language translations for Vanilla. Help contribute to this translation by going to its translation site <a href="https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/vanilla/language/ca_ES/">here</a>.',
      'Version' => '2012.10.05p1534',
      'Author' => 'Vanilla Community',
      'AuthorUrl' => 'https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/vanilla/language/ca_ES/',
    );

setlocale(LC_ALL, 'es_ES.utf8', 'es_ES', 'es');

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

setlocale is called by the framework for enabled locales. Servers do have to have the locales installed though and that is rarely the case unless you control the hosting environment.

• How can I add to the activities output from a plugin?

• Hi, can -I'm putting it as- the user-call sign "" also be translated? It's not what we may use in Persian anyway. If it's possible, I'd rather go with the exclamation mark or simply the colon then.

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

HI

• EdelAliEdelAli New
    edited March 2013

/me : Besides user mentions, I should add this function, too! Is slash me localizable?

• The example plural strings are no problem for Scottish Gaelic, because verbs don't inflect for number. Plurals are a problem though with things like:

%s comment
    %s comments

The plurals definition for my language:

``nplurals=4; plural=(n==1 || n==11) ? 0 : (n==2 || n==12) ? 1 : (n > 2 && n < 20) ? 2 : 3;

And to compare, for English:

``nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);

Full definitions can be found here

With her/him/their, it gets more complicated and it would be best for my language to use less placeholders. For example, the word for conversation is "còmhradh" but in

``X wrote in his/her/their conversation = Sgrìobh X sa chòmhradh aige/aice/aca.

it is "chomhradh".

And for a discussion, we get this:

``X wrote in his/her/their discussion = Sgrìobh X san deasbaid aige/aice/aca.

So, "in" is sometimes "sa", sometimes "san".