Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

CLEditor - URGENT issue with IE11 for everyone using it

edited December 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
  1. CLEditor does NOT work with 2.0.18.9 with IE11 - the forum is essentially useless for IE11 visitors since they can't post without know a "secret" click.
  2. More and more of my visitors have switched to IE11 - my e-mail box is filling with complaints of being unable to post on the forum.
  3. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM FOR ME, and almost certainly for many many other Forums since CLEditor is more or less the default editor for Vanilla installs.

I'm a very skilled PHP programmer, but my jQuery is not as advanced. I cannot find a fix for the current CLEditor plugin, nor can I get the latest version of CLEditor to work properly - maybe some knows the exact mods needed to get it to work?

I know everyone is busy right now, but I think this is a huge issue.

Please don't suggest updating to Vanilla 2.1 as I see many posts emphasizing that is sill Beta and should not be used for a production site.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Maybe using another wysiwyg editor is a fast "solution" http://vanillaforums.org/addon/tinymcefour-plugin

• Options

That may be the ultimate answer if I can figure out how to trim down the number of formatting buttons it has in the default setups. But -- changes like that really upset users, so keeping the current editor they are used to would be preferable.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

According to their homepage, support for ie11 is new in latest version: http://premiumsoftware.net/CLEditor/WhatsNew

Maybe updating cleditor will help?

• Options

Just updating to the latest CLE code does not work - at lease by simply replacing the existing one, or the one used in Vanilla 2.1. Doesn't hook correctly into 2.0.18.

I can't be the only one using Vanilla 2.0.18 with the existing, old and broken CLEditor...

But @vrijvlinder 's answer on how to select a custom set of buttons for TinyMCEFour works. It was pretty fast and simple to simply pick the set I wanted for my users, and replace CLEditor. So that is my solution, and will probably work for others as well. Not that hard to edit out the buttons that are really above the necessity of forum users.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You can't use the cleditor for 2.1 in 2.0 because it uses a different jquery version. :(

• Options
    edited December 2013

@vrijvlinder -

I don't think it is because of my changes, but TinyMCEFour is pretty broken, too.

If you try to edit someone else's post, you get a plain text box that gives a "Body Required" error when you save.

And after you leave a reply, you get a double text box - one plain, the other with the editor buttons. And if you enter text into the plain text box, you are back to the "Body Required" situation.

So for whatever reason, TinyMCEFour is not always overriding the text box on comment replies.

At least this is what is happening on my sites - including one that is just a default Vanilla installation with a couple of categories added.

Here's a screen capture of that image (on the fresh Vanilla install):

Get the same results with the unmodified version of the plugin as well. Easiest way to get this is to try to edit an existing comment.

• Options

hmmm let me check that , I recall it was happening and then I fixed it ...

• Options
    edited December 2013

Ok try this , In the same file and block of code you edited buttons, change

$('#Form_Body,body.Profile #Form_Comment,body.Activity #Form_Comment').tinymce({

to

$('#Form_Body').tinymce({

Let me know if that fixes it , by the way, this editor works with emotify also if you want to use that plugin as well. You can also edit the emoticons that come with the editor .

• Options

To edit comments using the TinyMCE Editor, Copy the comment to be edited then delete the comment. Paste the comment into the Editor or html editor and edit then save.

• Options

@vrijvlinder - no, that did not make any difference.

Some other script seems to be opening a text box when you click Edit on previuos comments - but then doesn't respond to the Save Comment button - or gets to a "Body is Required" state.

• Options

I'm sure my moderators will not tolerate that work around...

• Options
    edited December 2013

The reason that is , is because the comment contains html, what you see the box above the editor , it is the html form of the comment.

I am not sure why that is happening however you can just copy the comment you want to edit then delete it. After that just paste it in the editor and edit then save.

• Options
    edited December 2013

Yes I understand, I will work on a fix ...I think the problem is we are loading several jquery versions and I need to add a $.noConflict(true) somewhere so they don't conflict.

• Options

@businessdad -

Your solution did work! None of my other plugins seem to be broken, and the updated CLEditor works. So to summarize:

1. Add the delete old jquery.js and use the new version from goolge host. Note that most themes will already have a 'Base_Render_Before' defined. Mine was in the main hooks.php class file. Just added the lines to replace the jQuery there.
    2. Replace the appropriate .js files in the cleditor plugin directory. There are 3 files, the .js go in the plugin js directory, and the .css in the design directory.

So - Thanks for all the input, and I hope this info helps everyone, including those who would prefer TinyMCE for the editor, assuming that gets fixed.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@weavertheme said:
    businessdad -
    Your solution did work! None of my other plugins seem to be broken, and the updated CLEditor works.

I will now deserve the badge for the "lucky shot solution". :D

• Options

No it is not luck, it is jquery.js....... ;)