Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Changing the structure of the forum into a table

I'm currently using the 2011Compatibility Theme. I would like to edit the content so that the forum would be structured as a table. Here's an example of what I'm looking for. I would like to know how can I achieve this. Which HTML file will give me the ability to edit the forum into a table?

I also want to know how I can add placeholder text in my search bar.

Comments

• You're using Vanilla 2.1b2 or Vanillla 2.0.18.10? With Vanilla 2.1b2 you can go to 'HomePage' in your dashboard and set your setting to a table there.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AdlibAdlib New
    edited January 2014

@Underdog I have Vanilla 2.0.18.9

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

@Adlib

I also want to know how I can add placeholder text in my search bar.

well a search of "placeholder search"

http://vanillaforums.org/search?adv=&search=placeholder+search

would yield this as well as others. search box does work :)

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/18048/search-box

also to modify themes see the tutorials to modify themes and look in add-ons to find something that replicates what you want and modify accordingly.

you also might wait till you upgrade to 2.1 - since table view is there some themes.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @Adlib said:
    Underdog I have Vanilla 2.0.18.9

First : Update to 2.0.18.10 please and then wait for Vanilla 2.1. It's a 'HomePage' structure, so there is no easy way to turn your theme over into a table layout. Maybe, just maybe there's a theme out there with 'table' structure, but I doubt it, because that's what all the other forum systems have.
    All you can do is create your own theme, go to the views section and override the views for 'discussions' (copy / paste in your own theme and 'table away').

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @UnderDog Thanks for answering. I successfully updated my forum

• @peregrine Thanks a lot, that was so simple. What about adding a search icon?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2014

@peregrine Thanks a lot, that was so simple. What about adding a search icon?

Awesome - with css. I suppose with a background image and positioning.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• AdlibAdlib New
    edited January 2014

@UnderDog said:
    All you can do is create your own theme, go to the views section and override the views for 'discussions' (copy / paste in your own theme and 'table away').

Once I copy the folder, which file do I edit in order to 'table away?'

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I suggest you try out the theme chocolate and the plugin for it. It is the closest thing to tables.

You can simply rearrange the default tpl or php master with the required html structure for tables , then create a custom.css style sheet with the rules for the table structure.

In the theme, in the views folder, default.master.php or default.master.tpl