Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Creating a Forum Entry Out of Email Reply

I am looking for a solution that'll allow a user to create a forum entry when the user replies to a notification. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

That sounds like the SpamEnabler Plugin ;)

I am afraid no such thing is possible at this time...

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited January 2014

There is currently no plugin that adds posting by email functionality for the open-source Vanilla version. Implementing that functionality will require a lot of work and would be too complicated to set up for most website administrators.

Fortunately, one of the hosted plans for Vanilla does have a plugin that adds that functionality.

There was also another discussion about that functionality a while ago: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/22620/post-by-email

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It is a risky thing to manage. If someone gets ahold of the special email for posting , there could be a spam storm. You would have to set role based permissions as to who could post by mail.

You would need to generate special emails for this purpose and manage that part of it.

The cron checking for new posts/email takes lots of server resources. Multiplied by users.

If the Profile Activity page was personal, then maybe they could post to their profile by email like on Facebook. But it is not.

I would prefer users to visit the site to participate. Otherwise they will have no need to visit the forum if they can do everything by email.

Differentiating from posted by email and posted while on site would be needed.

This aspect of posting is an entire application. Highly expensive to create.

I think there are other better efforts like the Articles app .

• Options
    edited January 2014

Thanks for your comment. What I plan to do is the following. Using Email forwarding (to the from email) and piping it to a php script that parses the email content. The script will connect to Vanilla using REST api to create the forum posting from the email content.