Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to have topics created when a wordpress post is made, instead of only after a comment is made?

I'm using 2.1b1.17 and the Vanilla Wordpress plugin to replace WP comments with Vanilla ones.

When someone comments, it makes a topic in the Vanilla forum, posted by System, that exerts and links to the WP post.
I want it to create that topic in the Vanilla forum right away, instead of waiting for a comment to be posted.

There's no option to do that. Does anyone know what I need to change.
I see the "$LinkText = T('EmbededDiscussionLinkText', 'Read the full story here');" code in class.postcontroller.php, but I don't know what to make from the rest of it to figure out how I'd have the topic created right when the WP post is made instead of waiting for a comment to be posted before making it.

Answers

• This is also how I hoped things would work.

• Well, at least I'm not alone.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2014

The whole vanilla comments system completely needs to be redone. This system of scraping needs to be replaced with api calls. For one the current system is not at all secure.

This can't be done with tinkering. If people are serious, they could sponsor such development. There are actually a number of possibilities, but this not a trivial task by any stretch.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2014

Btw it doesn't wait for a comment to be posted, it waits for the page to load. However it is a big security whole for spammer to exploit becuase there is literally no authentication at all.

grep is your friend.

• It doesn't make a post to the forum until there is at least 1 comment made for me.
    In addition to that, it doesn't respect the setting for which category I've set it to post to.

• @Sadako said:
    It doesn't make a post to the forum until there is at least 1 comment made for me.
    In addition to that, it doesn't respect the setting for which category I've set it to post to.

I see they update the wordpress pluign in January. I could do you a slightly different script were it does it on load like before. However Like I said, the reliance on scraping is flawed as it is. The security issue is still there.

Yes there is no category/user mapping currently this is also an option, but this soemthing that need to be part of a an api, not something take on face value.

grep is your friend.

• It still says version 1.14, which is what I have already.

• in 2.0 the discussion/embed was used to make the post, in 2.1 discussion/fetchpageinfo both of these have the same security weakness. if you PM me your site, and I'll show you.

grep is your friend.

• Eh? So any version of the plugin and Vanilla is vulnerable when using the wordpress embedded comments? Is there a fix for it? What does the vulnerability open up?

• It allows spammer to post as the system user, even without even having an account.

The wordpress plugin isn't the vulnerable side.

Another reason why an api system is better, is becuase you couldn't use the comment integration on a private blog or section otherwise, as it needs to be publicly accessible to be scraped.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2014

edit posted in wrong discussion

grep is your friend.

• There's a such thing as 2.1b1.17? I know there's a such thing as 2.1b1, but add .17 to the end of it?