Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What has happened to the bookmark star?

I have just updated from Version 2.0.18.8 to Version 2.0.18.10. Everything seemed the same at first but I've just noticed the bookmarking star has disappeared, yet user preferences still allow notification for bookmarked discussions. Can anyone help me to find out where the bookmarking ability has disappeared to? Do I have to turn it own somewhere now?

Is there a list of the changes in 2.0.18.10 anywhere? I notice for instance that there is now an option to dismiss announcements that I don't know how to switch off.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

As far as I know the bookmarking works fine. Maybe try my VBookmark plugin and see if you can see the star. If that is the case then it is only some css problem. It could be a js problem too. The notifications are decided by the users in the user preferences .

What theme do you use ?

• Did you check the dashboard for dismiss? it may be there.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine said:
    Did you check the dashboard for dismiss? it may be there.

I can't see anything like dismiss on the dashboard. Where should I be looking?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

edited: actually it is in config look two comments down ↓

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

There is no permission as far as I know for bookmarking. It just works for everyone the same way. But I have run across themes that either don't have the css for it or it is wrong and does not show. Because it is a sprite, it is only one image with three possible positions. If the coordinates are wrong for the theme the stars may not show or only show bookmarked but not bookmarking .

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

@sudden156 said:
    I notice for instance that there is now an option to dismiss announcements that I don't know how to switch off.

Solution to dismiss - if you don't want anyone to Dismiss Announcements or discussions:

in conf/config.php

add

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Discussions']['Dismiss'] = False;

although having dismiss available is handy.

part 2:

see if the default them shows bookmark stars. and report back

edited March 2014

Oh there was two questions... one about the missing bookmark, as the title suggests and the other about dismissing messages...I thought you were off your rocker for a sec...or posting in the wrong discussion by accident.

To do that you would go into the messages in the dashboard click edit message if you had already made one, and then select to allow to dismiss or not when you enable the message. It is a pop up that comes up when you select edit message.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

he is talking about dismissing announcements I believe - and the solution is two comments up ↑

but if he is talking about messages - you are correct.

Yes I think messages is a misnomer . It should be called announcement . I bet that is what they mean. those things are announcements in my opinion.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

if messages are announcements, what are the announcements called (the discussions that are sticky until dismissed :)

nomenclature struggle.

messages vs. announcements
    announcements vs sticky discussions until dismissed or sunk.

• Yes, dismissing announcements not messages (I realise the latter can be done in the dashboard). I added:

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Discussions']['Dismiss'] = FALSE;

to config and that has solved the dismissing announcements problem.

But bookmark stars still absent.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

and did you test in default theme. to see if bookmark stars show?

• This is the default theme, with just a few small CSS additions tagged on at the end for now.

ok, does this mean you tried the plugin and it did not change anything?

You could use a web inspector to see what files are being called. The script for the bookmarks is called bookmark.js see if it is being called.

Also see if the bookmark is showing in the html of the source. If it is there, then see is the coordinates are correct play with the css values until you see it.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2014

This is the default theme, with just a few small CSS additions tagged on at the end for now.

then it is NOT the default theme. it is your custom theme. you shouldn't modify the default theme - for exactly that reason. you can't test with the default theme because you modified it.

try the embed friendly theme.

the idea is to find out if it is a theme problem, version problem, database problem, js problem

• Solved it, at least the reason. It is something to do with my tagged on CSS. Put back the original clean CSS and the bookmark stars reappear. So I'll just have to work out why my CSS has interfered, as I wouldn't have thought it would.

Many thanks

• @vrijvlinder said:
    ok, does this mean you tried the plugin and it did not change anything?

I have downloaded but not tried it out yet. Thanks.

Let me know how it works for the sake of obtaining feedback. Thanks

• Okay, I've worked out the missing bookmark stars now. While playing around with the CSS I accidentally managed to change the paths to the star_sprite.png bookmark star images. The link was still there but no image to display.

Fairly idiotic, but good to have solved it. Many thanks both of you.