Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Way to Have Long-Term Unanswered Questions moved to Separate Tab

kirkpa31kirkpa31 ✭✭
edited April 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have utilized the Q&A plugin on my forum and it's been terrific, but since implementing it I've noticed that questions are asked that will never be answered, and as such remain in the unanswered tab forever, creating clutter for the other unanswered questions.

I'm wondering if it's possible to have these type of questions (i.e. those questions asked that don't receive an answer for a certain amount of time) to be moved automatically to a new tab.

As of now, I've solved this by allowing Categories on my forum with one category created for each question that doesn't receive an answer for a long period of time. I manually go in and mark the question as answered and then move it to this category. It's messy, and I'm hoping there could be a way to edit the plugin to allow for this change.

***utilizing Vanilla v.2.0.18.8

Comments

• not an an answer to your question but an alternate thought for achieving your possible goal.

perhaps you could run a cron job monthly to check insertdate of question and move it your category.

or write an entirely separate plugin to do just that and have a link in dashboard. "Move unaswered questions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• My problem is that I have to mark those questions as "answered" in order to have them removed from the "unanswered" tab. I feel that a monthly query to move questions to this new category wouldn't resolve this issue.

In terms of writing another plugin - I have attempted to alter the QnA plugin over the past couple of weeks to no avail, so I was reaching out here to see if someone with greater knowledge knew a better way of modifying it.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

A plugin to purge unanswered questions....

but just because the OP has not marked them answered does not make them unanswered.

I would just archive them.

• I'm not sure what your ultimate goal and method of achieving it. I know the gist, but not the exact process of what you want each thing to end up as.

But if you don't want to move and mark them answered in a sql cron job, and you don't want to create a plugin that manually does the same thing as the cron job.

couldn't you just filter unanswered questions before a certain date from the unanswered tab.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Ultimately @peregrine‌ that's probably what I'll end up doing. The unanswered tab is ever-increasing with posts because a good majority of them are questions that will never be answered.

The idea was to have another tab created for posts that were not marked as answered for a certain period of time (i.e. 31 days) to automatically move out of the unanswered tab and into this new tab. But for now they are just cluttered in unanswered.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

a good majority of them are questions that will never be answered.

yes that happens when it's about religion or quantum mechanics...

You can choose tho archive discussions for a certain date. Not sure you can specify only unanswered but that would be great..

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2014

I think the best option is to change questions back into discussion type.

grep is your friend.

• You can create a custom post type which can be filtered.

grep is your friend.

• That's better than what I was currently doing - thanks!