Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Features Question - Is Vanilla Right For Me?

1) Can Vanilla incorporate into Wordpress for widget use?
2) Can Vanilla do special groups with their own forum? (Such as Red Team/Blue Team). This would also count if I can do custom ranks with their own privileges, such as view a special forum, etc.

Will add on any other questions as I think of them. Thank you!

Comments

• Hello,

With a knowledge for databases and PHP, you can make sure of Vanilla Forums in WordPress.

Technically, it's separate from WordPress as it is it's own framework.

You can easily build Vanilla Forums into your WordPress website by using the Embed features:

http://blog.vanillaforums.com/help/how-to-embed-a-forum-on-your-website/

http://blog.vanillaforums.com/help/embed-forum-wordpress/

Then you'll just need to theme the embed to match your website and voila - you've your forms inside the website.

I don't know if there's a plugin that will connect the memberships, but it could be done with custom scripting.

Just as you see here, you can create multiple categories for your discussions, as many as desired.

Though what you might be referring to is something more like bbPress and Vanilla Forums is a bit more simplistic.

As for privileges and roles, yes, this is possible. You'll also find some great addons too though limited.

I suggest maybe installing Vanilla Forums and checking it out. The best way to know if it's right is trying it.

• You'll also find some great addons too though limited.

there are only a bit over 600 add-ons. :) a bit limited geez only 600+

greatness is in the eye of the beholder and their needs.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• That's alot of addons!

So far I"m all installed up. The member ranks will work fine for what I want, as well as as allowing a few hidden boards/catagories/etc.

Pouting because the Bootstrap theme won't work yet. About to look into what it takes for theme creation. Am rusty at pvp and fail at java, so will be fun.

Also trying to find an addon which will allow users to log in using Facebook or G+

• Gah! Just found the addons on the toolbar.

Lack of sleep isn't always a good thing :)

• @peregrine said:
    there are only a bit over 600 add-ons. :) a bit limited geez only 600+
    greatness is in the eye of the beholder and their needs.

LOL I meant in comparison to WordPress though, suppose I should have been more specific.

As a user coming to Garden / Vanilla Forums from WordPress, it's certainly a huge difference.

There are definitely lots of addons available, but they are limited in comparison to WordPress.

:)

• @serenitysquirrel said:
    Gah! Just found the addons on the toolbar.

Lack of sleep isn't always a good thing :)

You'll have fun learning Vanilla Forums :) Welcome to the community! It's a great one!!