Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Question button does not remember category it is clicked in, and always defaults to top category

edited May 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Love this plugin!

Small problem:
1. Made code changes as specified by peregrine in this very helpful post The Big Button option part A: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26902/some-adjustments-to-more-clearly-see-ask-a-question-in-q-a-1-2-1-new-discussion-button.
2. Click 'Ask a Question'
3. New post always goes to first or top category no matter what.
4. Tested by moving different categories to the first position.
5. Clicked on a mid level category.
6. Click 'Ask a Question'
7. New post goes to top level category.

The discussion button always remembers the category it was clicked in when creating a new post. Wondering what might be working with the discuss button that could be added to the question button?

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

category dropdowns aren't like elephants! they have no clue to what previous category you posted in the past. I think you are a bit confused with dropdown selections. you choose the category where you want to post and it posts in the correct category, at least for me.

could be the code changes you made with your replacement theme vanilla distribution mixup.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited May 2014

Perhaps pictures will help demonstrate the issue better. Pictured below is a brand new install of Vanilla 2.1. The only plugin enabled is QnA. I made the code changes exactly as specified for the big button, not the drop down: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26902/some-adjustments-to-more-clearly-see-ask-a-question-in-q-a-1-2-1-new-discussion-button

I made the root category 'numbers' (as shown in the pictures below) display as a heading.

I created three categories: one, two, three.

The green arrows show that no matter the order of the categories, when the Discussion button is clicked the new discussion passes on the category the user was in to the new discussion. In this example that category is always 'two'.

The red arrows show that when the 'Ask a Question' button is clicked the first category is always passed on as the category the new post will be created under.

What code is missing from the QnA code that is in the Discussion code allowing it to pass along the category the user is in?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I think it depends on which page you start the discussion. If you are in a certain category page and ask or start a question it should keep you in the same category. If you start it from the Index of either categories or discussions it does not have a selection selected.

Si If I am in Category two, the post category should be in number two automatically.

I am not sure this is how it happens but makes sense it should.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2014

excellent visual. good explanation virtualdavid. now I understand the issue. apparently I was the one confused. (by your first post) :)

try this. i think it will solve the issue.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/208966/#Comment_208966

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Awesome! Works likes a charm. (*) Thanks!