Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Secure/Private RSS feeds?

edited November 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
For private forums, how do you guys handle it? I've installed the RSS extension but it makes me authenticate, but can't authenticate for some reason. Would be nice if there were an option to have a unique URL so that only the user will know what URL to go to (kind of like how Backpack works).

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'm not familiar with Backpack's handling of rss feeds. You could, of course, generate a key and do it that way (if I understand correctly). You could probably take that existing rss extension and just alter it to do that and release it yourself. You'd just need to program the key generation and add that value to the user's account.
  • Thanks Mark, that's pretty much how Backpack works... I may give that a try once I feel more comfortable with extensions.
  • -bump- I have a private forum too. my newsreader asks me to authenticate too, but won't download. Care to elaborate on how to 'generate a key' ? TIA
  • Since there is as of yet no solution for getting usable e-mail notifications, I, too, been trying to get a RSS feed out of a forum that doesn't permit public browsing. The browser requires authentication, but returns the following error upon providing a user name and password: A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred Technical information (for support personel): Error Message An error occurred while validating user credentials. Affected Elements Feed.ValidateCredentials(); The error occurred on or near: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(u.Password = md5('foobar') or u.Password = 'foobar' )' at lin
  • hmm. i need this to work with my private forum. digging in now. if anyone has any help please post here. i'll be toying with this. and will post my results, if i have any. thanks!
  • edited February 2011
    Sorry to re-open a 5 year old discussion but has the issue been solved?

I run Vanilla as a private forum but still need members to be able to fetch news via RSS. Standard HTTP authentication appears to not be implemented?

eg. http://[user]:[pass]@[domain]/[feed]

What are the options beside making a forum or category public?
  • Sorry to re-open a 5 year old discussion but has the issue been solved?
    I'd also like to know of any solution/workaround to this question as well!

thanks,

• yeah, it would be great if it was possible to add a unique token or something to private group rss feeds, so they would work externally
  • @mattchatterley said:
    I've also got this problem - and am working on a solution (via a Plugin). If this would be useful to anyone, let me know and I'll consider wrapping it up to be released!

it would probably be useful to some people. you might as well (otherwise a few months or years down the road someone will say "I'll take it", but you may be gone by then), as you may note from alot of necroposts.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @mattchatterley said:
    I've also got this problem - and am working on a solution (via a Plugin). If this would be useful to anyone, let me know and I'll consider wrapping it up to be released!

I know its quite late to "necro" this post, but has there been any development regarding a private rss feed? Plugin or something?