Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

View only Ones threads

How can I configure my vanilla Installation so that One member ( say in roll member) can view only his discussions in a Particular category ( General) . I need to hide all discussions from other members from the member who signed In

Best Answer

Answers

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Use a conversation instead of a discussion ;)

• That was not a solution I am asking about private discussions

You are right, that has been no correct answer, but the answer is very simple: there is no way to configure Vanilla that way.
    That's what conversations are made for. If you would like to have private discussions, you would have to create a plugin yourself or pay someone for that.

That plugin must transform each discussion in a special category. My best advise for setting something like that up would be to look at a plugin that does something similar. Take for example a blog plugin (https://github.com/hgtonight/Vanilla-Plugins/tree/master/BlanderBlog). It renders every discussion in a given category as a blog post. Now if you change that to "if category = private discussions category then render only discussions where my user id in discussions allowed users list".
    For adding users to a private discussion you could try to mimic the feature of the conversations.
    Moreover you would have to think of what to show to others at all: is it alright that private discussions are counted in a) user profile and b) in categories discussion count. The same goes for the comments in private discussions. Would it be okay if others to see the title of private discussions or should there be no trace at all. Those are just the main questions that come to my mind.

If you start to write that plugin yourself, I'll try to answer your questions, but I honestly believe conversations really are a good solution to your problem.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

a conversation IS a private discussion no?

It hasn't the same features, plugins that work for discussions doesn't always work for conversations. You have no [Preview] and no [Edit]. I can understand the desire to have the same possibilities on every place in the forum where you see an input box.

Personally I do not like that a discussion is something other than a comment that differs from conversation messages and that there are activity posts, as well (maybe I even forgot some text field). I often which I had the same functionality for every post type and just have to use if (in_array($PostType, array('Discussion', 'Comment)) if I want to restrict my added functionalities to only some of them. There should be not much difference in their functionality only in their usage.

On the other hand it's often very handy that there is that distinction. I guess there pros and cons and maybe I would like to have separate Discussion, Comments, Messages and ActivityPosts if they where mixed up in one table... ;)

But nevertheless I really would wish there could be something like a dynamic CommentStructure extends VanillaStructure for tables and that there would be a brought basis in VanillaStructure so that you can extend that basic table instead of adding here and there and hoping not to forget anything. But I'm quite sure that this might have some downsides, too.

To put it shortly and repeat what I've said above: converation is a private discussion, but it is not a private Vanilla discussion and so it lacks comfort you have in discussions.