HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SignLogger -- banned IPs being recorded again

I am noticing several spammer IP addresses that I have already put into spamips.php showing up again in the Sign Log. So for some reason though SignLogger itself is working perfectly there appears to be something amiss with the banning aspect.

(SignLogger 1.4 on Vanilla 2.1)

Comments

• thanks. you found a bug. I should have a new version shortly.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

@sudden156 see if the new version works better. thanks for the eagle-eye for finding bug and testing new version 1.5

as an aside botstopapproval plugin has been updated with a new name and is called add registration question plugin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks. I will load v.1.5 shortly and see how it goes.

Incidentally, I know next to nothing about PHP but when I open spamips.php in Dreamweaver it tells me that there is a syntax error at line 2 where the IP addresses start. I suppose it is just Dreamweaver being quirky, but just thought I should mention it in case it has a point!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

@sudden156 said Incidentally .... when I open spamips.php it tells me that there is a syntax error

its not really a php file, in that it is not executed. As long as you keep the same exact format and add each new ip address on a separate line , it will not cause a problem and will work as it is supposed to work.

edited.

• Ah, I suspected it was something like that. Thanks for confirming.

As for viewing it via the dashboard, you can do that? I have to work on things in Dreamweaver and FTP to the site. Have I missed a secret panel in the dashboard or something?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

my mistake again - it is not viewable by dashboard. the way you are editing via a text editor is the way to view and edit.

• sudden156sudden156 ✭✭
    edited July 2014

I am happy doing things in Dreamweaver and using FTP, it doesn't need dashboard access. I want a local copy anyway.

• cool.

• Is there any harm in having several full four part IPs and also a three part IP that covers that range in the same file? I like to keep the original full IPs for reference just in case the range turns out to be zapping legitimate IPs. I can't see any harm in repetition myself, but thought I would ask as I'm here.

• it shouldn't matter, as far as I can tell. If you start having 100's of addresses it might take a bit longer to sign in. since it needs to read file and check line by line.

• Okay, I see. When it gets bigger I'll edit it more maybe. At present there is the satisfaction of waging a winning war! Great plugin.

• thanks. appreciate the feedback.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

new version.

• Looks good, thanks.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

ver 1.7