HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Problems converting from IPB 3.2.3 to Vanilla

edited July 2014 in General Banter

Hey guys!

Trying to convert my IP.Board 3.2.3 forum with 20k posts to Vanilla, and I'm running into some problemos.

The export using Vanilla Porter (http://vanillaforums.org/addon/porter-core) went fine, and then I imported the file into Vanilla 2.1 no problem. However, IPB's bbcode wasn't converted to Simple HTML. I then ran these SQL commands from this post which worked, and enabled NBBC as well, and then the bbcode was parsed, but I'm still getting issues where HTML is showing up now.

I want to fix it so the bbcode is converted to Simple HTML (or whatever Vanilla uses by default). Any way to do this or is the importer messing up?

I'm also having an issue getting avatars imported over, they're all broken, but I don't really care about importing them so if I can just clear them all and use the Discussion Photos addon that would be fine.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Comments

• Options

@lukelarris said:
    but I'm still getting issues where HTML is showing up now.

Show a screen shot please, include the post (comment) number, so it's easier to give instructions

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited July 2014

Ok, so it's not showing HTML but looks like it didn't convert all bbcode.

Look in the database and what does it say for discussion number 2825

• Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options

check uploads/ipb/profile/ for the avatars.

grep is your friend.

• Options

However, IPB's bbcode wasn't converted to Simple HTML

Porter doesn't do this but I made a fork that did for it PHPBB if you make a donation to me, I could make a more recent fork of the porter with similar feature.

grep is your friend.

• Options

The ipb folder doesn't exist in uploads.

How large of a donation do I have to make and how? Running out of options it seems, so I guess I'll have to.

• Options

Bump.

• Options

@lukelarris said:
    The ipb folder doesn't exist in uploads.

How large of a donation do I have to make and how? Running out of options it seems, so I guess I'll have to.

Enough to buy me a few rounds :smiley: Seriously whatever you think it is worth.

However I shoudl note as bbcode is not a standard, i would only update my code to the current version. I can't guess or spend a great deal of time figuring out one custom flavour of bbcode.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    code
    hide
    url
    img
    size
    font
    color
    list
    b
    i
    u
    s

that is basically it

grep is your friend.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited July 2014

When it's just [ quote][/ quote] it will be ok, but I think that [quote name='Luke Larris' timestamp='1396919208' post='20538'] is where that bbcode plug in fails

• Options

@UnderDog said:
    When it's just [ quote][/ quote] it will be ok, but I think that [quote name='Luke Larris' timestamp='1396919208' post='20538'] is where that bbcode plug in fails

well my parser will handle that but the timestamp will be stripped.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    mycyberquestmycyberquest webmasterspride@gmail.com New

Does anyone finally got it working?

• Options

Alright @x00‌ that sounds cool! Does your converter convert stuff to Markdown too or is that asking too much? Simple HTML is fine, but I love the simplicity of Markdown.

PM me about the donation with Paypal details if that works for you, I'll pass some dough your way :wink:

• Options

No it doesn't but in markdown HTML is valid.

However you historic post may have something that similar to markdown, which could cause issues. There is nothing stopping you from setting historic post to html, and the default formatter as Markdown.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Oh okay, awesome!