HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Suggestions for Search Category Addon

cycascycas
edited July 2014 in Feedback

I love, love, love the idea of this addon. My users have been moaning like mad about the search since I updated from Vanilla 1 (in fact, this has been such a problem that I seriously considered trying to patch Vanilla 1 myself so we could go on using that). It's not MySQL search :I have actually resorte to searching the database from phpmyadmin because that does provide enough filters to be useful for my situation.

I don't need or want a large complex search solution like Sphinx, and I can't use google as my small forum is private: I just need filters on the standard MySQL search and a slightly better natural language system: this looks ideal.

I have two small suggestions:
1) might it be possible to search a category that is hidden? Mods may not routinely wish to read all the threads in every category, but it would be nifty to be able to search them without unhiding them.

2) Would be even better if you could also specify if you want to search Title or Comments, as in Vanilla 1!

Comments

• Thank you for your suggestions, Cycas. I'll investigate the possibility to add these features as soon as I have some spare time.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited July 2014

Sphinx is the perfect solution.

• Sphinx may be the perfect solution for you, but it's not for me. I don't need the power, and a solution that requires the installation of additional platform-specific packages considerably increases the work needed if I want to migrate hosting, which for my particular Vanilla forum is a significant issue.

I've looked at using Sphinx for another project (where it was marginally beaten out by Google Site Search in the end) but it's not right for my Vanilla forum.