Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Why looks my vanilla like crap in IE? Its unuseable...

In Mozilla Firefox 30.0 no problems,
In Chrome 35.0.1916.153 only the topmargin is not right... why?
and then last tested Internet Explorer, (ie6, ie8, ie10) but none of them showing the page correctly.. so how that come, 50% of my users using at first ie10...

Best Answer

Answers

• you might need to pick a theme that is compatible and works with the flaws of IE

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @Schryvers you are unlikely to get a reply with this little information. You have told us very little about your theme, what version of vanilla you are using and any supporting information such as a link.

grep is your friend.

• 2.1 stable
    Bootstrap
    Tattootalk.nl

• as kasper says here he want you to report issues on github

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/bootstrap-theme

grep is your friend.

• you have done some customizations, see how it looks in a clean install.

grep is your friend.

• Hey,
    My site looks like crappie too on Net scape 3.0
    My site is http://localhost/vanilla_latest/
    Theme is bootstrap but I modified it
    Can anyone take a look?
    Version is latest download of Vanilla from anywhere, use crystal ball to guess the version number

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @UnderDog‌ how old are you anyway

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

@Schryvers said:
    2.1 stable
    Bootstrap

modified, yes?

Tattootalk.nl

thanks for posting this. - re: these additional details.

just a general forum tip for anyone reading discussion....

it provides a bit more info to enable people to help solve your issue, than your opening post. Good to remember the little details that people might need when asking questions. Hard to remember sometimes, but something to consider for any new discussion questions in the future. since each new discussion does not automatically imply users will be reading any previous discussions that you have made. Each new discussion should be treated as if no one ever read anything you posted in prior discussions and the more details provided help everyone involved.

Often times if you have errors in your html or css as pointed out above,
    IE may not be as robust in dealing with errors as firefox or chrome. (although this does not mean they shouldn't be fixed).
    Occasionally some IE versions have their own limitations or flaws even when there are no apparent errors in other browsers.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@peregrine said:
    you might need to pick a theme that is compatible and works with the flaws of IE

I just made one, here it is:

<div id="awesome_stuff">
      <p><!-- Write pure text content here --></p>
    </div>

It renders consistently on every browser, it doesn't require CSS or JS.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@Schryvers said:

UnderDog‌ how old are you anyway

He is as old as time itself...ageless... :D

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

@vrijvlinder said:

Schryvers said:
    UnderDog‌ how old are you anyway

He is as old as time itself...ageless... :D

just for the record - are we talkin' dog-years or light-years?

The Tao of Underdog

Chapter 14

Look at it, it cannot be seen
    It is called colorless
    Listen to it, it cannot be heard
    It is called noiseless
    Reach for it, it cannot be held
    It is called formless
    These three cannot be completely unraveled
    So they are combined into one

Above it, not bright
    Below it, not dark
    Continuing endlessly, cannot be named
    It returns back into nothingness
    Thus it is called the form of the formless
    The image of the imageless
    This is called enigmatic
    Confront it, its front cannot be seen
    Follow it, its back cannot be seen

Wield the Tao of the ancients
    To manage the existence of today
    One can know the ancient beginning
    It is called the Tao Axiom of Underdog

not sure if I should lol or eye...

• @vrijvlinder said:
    not sure if I should lol or eye...

Both ... we're here to have fun, hence the lol and that information about the tao of UnderDog is insightful

User also needs to figure out how to adjust a perfect (imho) bootstrap theme, keep it compatible with IE, adjust it to his needs (he probably needs to list his needs, which would be insightful) and then still keep it compatible with IE

I wish him all the luck with that

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SchryversSchryvers
    edited July 2014

Well i really dont understand 50% of the posts here.. haha. So a custom bootstrap im gonna upload the original and the header.

• @Schryvers said:
    Well i really dont understand 50% of the posts here.. haha. So a custom bootstrap im gonna upload the original and the header.

you need to ensure you markup is well formed, otherwise you may have the same problem.

grep is your friend.

• SchryversSchryvers
    edited July 2014

Yeah so its just not thats easy as it is on a phpbb forum... i really like the simplicity of the looks of vanilla, its so clean. But to modify is really hard when ya only know basic html from back in the days, the last time i make a website was like 2001 with ms frontpage ilmao.

So when i want to put text and images into the template file in /views/, i need to put it into the < div > `s like a few comments above?

Thanks alot. Im gonna start from a clean install tonight. Just the only thing i want in there, is the header above the menu...

Thanks for all the info , and sorry for my less info....

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Schryvers‌

It isn't based on Bootstrap, but if you want to get an idea of how to theme Vanilla, you might want to take a look at my annotated css theme.

It's not designed to be used as such, it's just for practice.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/annotatedcss2.1-theme

• Well.... i installed a fresh bootstrap theme on it, and its not to see in IE! and Safari it wil cause white space on the top of the site. tattootalk.nl version 2.1 vanilla, bootstrap.

edited July 2014

I found the cause of your problem....

Look at the source code with web inspector and see the first line after the head section.

body has " " after that line and that is causing the space on the top and the meta data is supposed to go in the head section not after the body...