Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Uploading images

ZeaksZeaks New
edited July 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I spent a few hours looking around and trying out plugins and fixes for the available plugins that allow image uploading and inserting into a post. It seems there are a lot of issues with them. I tried fixes for the file upload plugin which did not work. It's clunky at best when it did work.

Before I look into alternative forums yet again, am I missing anything that would allow easy multiple image upload and inserting into a post for the newest vanilla version?

I've tried to use this forum software several times in the past and it seems it's always missing something that's required for whatever i'm working on. It's strange this is not a core feature.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2014

I spent a few hours looking around and trying out plugins and fixes for the available plugins that allow image uploading and inserting into a post. It seems there are a lot of issues with them. I tried fixes for the file upload plugin which did not work. It's clunky at best when it did work.

welcome pardner! congrats on being a member for 4 years.

what does "clunky at best mean" - and "when it does work" - what does this mean.

It works or it doesn't. As you've said you tried different solutions, why don't you state what you have tried.

Based on the few solutions around, other people have been satisfied and it works for them.

I guess ambiguous carping, doesn't lead to much, but details may lead to something valuable.

Probably the first step is to state what version of vanilla you use, what plugins and versions, and where you find the clunky issue (at best).

I've tried to use this forum software several times in the past and it seems it's always missing something that's required for whatever i'm working on. It's strange this is not a core feature.

so you're a developer trying to help a client or you're considering vanilla as a forum for yourself.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I use stable Vanilla 2.1

I recently uploaded

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/imageupload-plugin

enabled it, and BAM I had a sweet plugin.

What Vanilla version are you using?

What other plugins do you have enabled?

The plugin works fine, so you need to look at what is going on at your end.

• Using version 2.1 of Vanilla forum.
    Using the most recent version of the file upload plugin.
    Not using any other addons at all.
    I Was using the Bootstrap theme, but switched back to the default after reading the comments about file upload and issues it has with it.

Also tried PIUpload plugin for multiple file upload which does not work at all from what I can tell(broken images). Read the comments and searched forums for information on that too, I guess it just hasn't been updated, but it also relys on the fileupload plugin so I can't tell which one is at fault.

Suggestions given to get file upload plugin to work properly are for beta versions, user edited versions etc. The plugin is not what I was really looking for, I wanted something that ran smoothly with the rest of the site but if it had worked good when I installed it I might of considered using it on a live site.

-Clunky at best - means it does not work smoothly. Take a look at this newest comment on the plugin, I've had both of those issues http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/27341/upload-never-end#latest The version suggested at the end of that comment actually gave my forum a white screen that didn't go away after removing the plugin.

• When it does work - means just what it says. It did not work for me the first two times I tested it.

I realize this is free software and I'm not trying to be rude, but the ability to upload a simple image and inset it into a post is a pretty basic feature.

• ZeaksZeaks New
    edited July 2014

@whu606 said:
    I use stable Vanilla 2.1

I recently uploaded

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/imageupload-plugin

enabled it, and BAM I had a sweet plugin.

What Vanilla version are you using?

What other plugins do you have enabled?

The plugin works fine, so you need to look at what is going on at your end.

I did take a look at this plugin, but based on user comments I didn't bother with it, I'll try it out, thanks.

** Seems to work fine, thanks for the suggestion

• This plugin doesn't work if users are creating new discussion and they click on the image icon, it doesn't work, But, when users are commenting under discussion topic, it works fine. So, what makes creating new discussion will not work ?