Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User Role "Guest"

Hey,

I've got a forum with different categories and only a few should be viewed by "normal users" (I configured it for the role "Guest")
Now the users need to register at the forum but they always get the "Member" Role - how can i change this?

• When I confirm them manually, they also get directly the "Member" role and I have to change it every time.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@cica‌

I'm not entirely sure what you want.

Why do you want to change from the members role?

You can configure roles to do what you want, and create new roles.

Why not just configure 'member' to do what you want, and assign a different role as needed?

• cicacica New
    edited July 2014

Well, the forum recently became open for extern users and they mustnt see everything. I guess the only solution would be to change de definitions of the two roles (Members and Guests) - because every new user automatically gets the "Members" role and then they could see everything they dont have to see, until I change their role manually. "Guests" would only see 1 specific category, thats what I want.

• I searched for another solution to change the "automatic" role, when they register, but I cant fint anything.

cica

But, if you change the role that they get after registration, that will have to be a customised role, so why not just customise Member to reflect the permissions you want to give?

• Because I already got "Members" - many. When i Change their role now, they cant see, what they should see. As i said: Probably the only solution is configuring the "Member" role to a "Guest" role (because thats the only role which a new user automatically gets) and the "Guest" role to a "Member" role (and then changing the role manually for every "full" member), but i was hoping for a more comfortable way to solve things :)

• By changing the automatic role for new users - but i cant find a way to do this. They should get the "Guest" role after registry and not the "Member" role.
  • R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited July 2014

visit that link: yourforum.com/dashboard/role/defaultroles ;)

@cica‌

You could use something like phpMyAdmin and mySQL to change the current role ID of your existing members to a new role.

• In conf/config.PHP there's a setting that cicada needs to change. It's the default role new users get after they register

The role that cicada needs to assign is a new role, created by himself with permissions set up by himself

So ... new role : "newmember", assign permissions, adjust conf/config.PHP the setting of "default role after signup" (all the other guys know the real role name)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hey, thanks for the link, thats exactly what i was searching for!
    But i just changed everything manually, like i said and now i guess the rolenames there are not correct anymore, because i changed the names and it works now, like it should, but when i go to this site it says the opposite. But i dont mind now, because it works, and thats all i wanted :) Thanks to all.