Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Anyone have a plugin that allows you to toggle your ROLE for specific posts?

Question: does anyone have any toggle type system that would allow you to toggle a role on or off for each different post you make?

For instance if I wanted to make an OFFICIAL post I could click a check mark (or a drop down or whatever) in the NEW DISCUSSION page that would allow me to adopt the role "OFFICIAL" when making that post. This way anything with that role can have a CSS modification that makes it stand out from other posts.

If I don't check that box then it isn't an "OFFICIAL" role styled post and my post then looks like everyone elses in the theme.

Thoughts? I've seen it in action on another site however haven't found a plugin for it.

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

I don't know of a plugin.

I have some other ideas besides changing role that would allow what you want. to allow a highlight of a discussion with css based on admin privs or moderation privs.

Do you only want it on Discussions Page. (the list of discussions)

Do you only want it on Individual discussion Page?

Do you want it on posted individual comments as well?

Post some mockup screenshots of what you want.

and we are talking about vanilla 2.1 correct.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

test something like this:

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited August 2014

Roles are attached to users. Roles shouldn't be attached to posts. Make it easy. You have separate users. An official user posts official things, and has an official role, with official role css. Click signout and signin to toggle between users. Done.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@MichaelCS couldn't you just use Announcements? They are important official posts.

But if I see it correctly, there'll soon be a new plugin made by peregrine ;)

• Options
    MichaelCSMichaelCS New
    edited August 2014

I've been able to do DISCUSSIONS or COMMENTS or even BOTH using a permanent entry in custom.css however I am really looking for something that can be toggled on and off. Just because MichaelCS is an admin on the site doesn't mean I want every single post of mine to be flagged as bright/attention grabbing and official, ya know?

Situation: ModeratorBob has to respond to a question, in a discussion thread, that requires an official explanation. He clicks a radio check button on the RESPOND page that makes his post have a special background/official color etc. POOF that Comment (or Discussion) is now differentiated from everything else.

The next post ModeratorBob just wants to respond as a regular fellow; he doesn't click the check box and his post appears normal, just like everyone elses.

ModeratorBob can also do this as the first post in a Discussion if required.

Yes, we are talking about 2.1

• Options

I would look at what the other guys are offering and not focus on that role part.

You want an 'official' part, a checkbox, which means a database change, which means it needs to be maintained over the years

I would go simpler and ask for a button on the buttonbar.

I would like something similar for this forum. I call it a "modbreak" and it gives me a nice highlighted post, as soon as someone makes up the CSS for it (similar behavior to code samples).

When I'moved done with the modbreak it's business as usual.

See what the guys come up with and if you don't like it you can go with the database change and endless maintenance

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Michael you have the wrong idea about roles. They are attached to user there are related to you permissions.

What you want is something that can allow you post under another user without logging out.

grep is your friend.

• Options

I pmmed you. I have a bunch of ideas.

• Options

There is already a plugin out there that does this but it was developed by a studio for a site. RSI mods/admins have an option that they can toggle when they make a post. If they toggle it on then it posts with a fancy background and text color denoting that this is an "official post". If they don't select that option then they can post regularly. All with their own account, without posting as anyone else etc.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@x00 said:
    Michael you have the wrong idea about roles. They are attached to user there are related to you permissions.

What you want is something that can allow you post under another user without logging out.

@x00 stole my answer! :no_mouth:

• Options

I've shown Peregrine what it was I was talking about. He said there are a couple of different ways of doing it. I'm talking wtih my partners on this site to see if we all want to donate some money to this project and then have someone build it for us using Vanilla as the basis. We will see what they say.