Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Read Categories are not getting "grayed out" for some users

DoyceTDoyceT Model Questioner ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm on 2.1.1 and the default theme.

The problem: some of my users were saying that it was impossible to tell the difference between read and unread categories. I thought they were crazy/blind/eighty years old, but it turns out they are actually not getting a changed display for entirely viewed categories. The admin account sees everything correctly, and my personal non-admin account sees things correctly, and there are others that see things correctly, but right now the vast majority of users are not seeing read categories greyed out correctly.

Discussion view works just fine.

I'm a bit past stumped on this, so any ideas anyone has would be welcome.

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited August 2014

ok try adding this to the custom.css file adjust as needed

.Item.Read {
    opacity: 0.8;
    background: #efefef;
    }
    .Item.Read a {
    color: #777;
    }
    .Item.Read a:hover {
    color: #adadad;
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    .Item.Read .Tag, .Item.Read .Tag a {
    background: #bbb !important;
    color: #f7f7f7 !important;
    }
    .Meta .Item.Read,.Meta .Item.Read a,.Meta .MItem.Read,.Item.Read a{
    color:#adadad;
    }

• Options
    edited August 2014

Thanks.

Unfortunately, doesn't seem to have any effect. The users who can see the gray backgrounds continue to see them, and the people who can't, can't.

This is regardless of which machine or which browser they use - the problem follows the login, and only affects the Category listings, not Discussion lists.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

how can you be certain every discussion in the category has been entirely viewed in respective category. have you logged as a specific user that has that issue.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Good point, you need to check the source on the accounts that have the issue and see if the .Read class is added to them after you have viewed.

• Options
    edited August 2014

how can you be certain every discussion in the category has been entirely viewed in respective category.

There's only one discussion in that category at this point. (Forum goes live in 10 days.)

have you logged as a specific user that has that issue.

Yeah. Pick a browser (I've used four different browsers so far.) If I log in as my non-admin guy, I open the only discussion in that category, then back out to that category's discussion list: that the discussion is gray. I back out to the main page, and the category is gray, while other's I haven't read everything in are white background.

Then I log out and log in one of the guys who aren't working right. They see the discussion as gray, if I look at the list of discussions in the sub category. I back out to the main page, and that sub category is not gray, nor are any others.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Here's a few screens to illustrate the issue.

First, broken guy looks at the discussion list inside the sub category. Both posts are read, and both are gray, as intended.

Second, broken guy looks at the Category view, which is not graying out the Category in question.

Third, guy who's actually working looks at the same Category view.

• Options
    edited August 2014

@vrijvlinder said:
    Good point, you need to check the source on the accounts that have the issue and see if the .Read class is added to them after you have viewed.

No, the .Read class is not being added to the category view for these users after they view everything in a category. It is being added for the users this works for.

• Options

try getting the mark allviewed plugin and mark everything viewed for the broken users. Then add some discussions and see if you get differentiation between Read categories and unread categories.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

• Options

Also there is an option in each category on the categories page with a toggle that allows you to mark category as read.

• Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options

@peregrine said:
    try getting the mark allviewed plugin and mark everything viewed for the broken users. Then add some discussions and see if you get differentiation between Read categories and unread categories.

Great idea!

I did this with one of my problem people. This worked! Everything went gray, finally.

I then (using another account) created a new post, refreshed the other user's page, and it showed up 'white' (unread topics in that category). I went in and viewed it, then backed out, and it ALSO went gray.

SO: somehow, forcing everything to be read seems to have forced the user back into the 'flow' of properly flagging Categories read/unread, correctly.

I just wish I knew what went wrong, in case it happens again.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

first off don't back out, you are reading a cached page, always go fowards so to speak, if you want accurate css and count data.

also re-read my comments.

• Options

I just wish I knew what went wrong, in case it happens again.

yes it's real conundrum...