Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.1 clean install url?

hi there, I would like to see how big is the distance between a clean install (without plugins) to this ideal community with tons of functionalities

so, is there any url with a clean v2.1 install?

thanks in advance~

Answers

• I would just try install it.

This site, runs the latest edge of hosted not self-hosted version.

So although you can get 2.2 which is alpha it is not stable to use generally and you won't get all the non-distributed features/addon.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) self hosted releases will have and odd second number e.g. 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, etc hosted will have an even 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, etc.

grep is your friend.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@annlee‌

As an example, it takes 5 minutes to install XAMPP on a Windows system, and about another 2 minutes to install Vanilla, if you aren't in a hurry.

Just install a local version and see for yourself.

I can't think why anyone would have a vanilla Vanilla 2.1 installation in a production environment.

• ok there is no url with a clean install of 2.1 /closed

• do you mean a demo?

really hard to figure what you are after.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• what would be the point? It is freely available software.

grep is your friend.

• I was going to suggest if he wanted a demo he could join a forum where there are few to none plugins installed.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I think it better just to install it, then you have better idea.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2014

of course, but for some unknown reason the person is unwilling to do that, or doesn't know how.

nothing wrong with a demo forum anyway. It might bring more people into the fold. :)

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2014

I can see that happening with the hosted version maybe. It would need to support independent instances, where everything is reset every hour or so. What is the point of a demo if you can't use it to explore most things.

However with the OS version why not just install it? Especially as demo sites take a bit more work, than just installing a site for spam.

grep is your friend.

• annleeannlee New
    edited August 2014

@peregrine said:
    of course, but for some unknown reason the person is unwilling to do that, or doesn't know how.

nothing wrong with a demo forum anyway. It might bring more people into the fold. :)

exactly, for the newcomers, would be nice a link with a clean test of the latest version, therefore I can see how much work do I need to research about plugins needed, etc...

the hosted version is sooooooo overpriced, but for some reason (perhaps license), there are no free vanilla hosting (ads based) like there are e.g. for phpbb

I think imma try it and purchase the Nexus (snow one) responsive template, its developer seems responsible person to upadte the responsive bugs

ps: besides the number of reads bug with same IP, found another, when quote need to add a CR or else your text is included inside the quote. And also, the AJAX effect of clicking the answer(y/n) is aggresive with a reload of page, where should be a soft effect

• x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2014

Doesn’t really beat installing it.

The hosted version may be too dear for some, but if anyone knows the true cost a properly managed root server, or cloud capacity, then at that level it is worth it, especially if you don't have the time or skills to fly solo. So it is targeted at that niche rather than people like yourself.

Free stuff don't grow on trees. It is funded. OS isn't really about free stuff or fulfilling every single demand that people make. People have different demands, so you aren't going to fulfil all of them naturally.

when quote need to add a CR or else your text is included inside the quote

Actually this is how the markdown works. Also between paragraphs you either need new line or you put double space the end of the paragraph. This is becuase markdown integrates html.

e.g

paragraph1
    paragraph2

not

paragraph1
    paragraph2

There are different flavours of markdown, so there is nothing stopping from implementing you own formatter.

As people said the OS version is targeted at developer an people willing to get their hands dirty.

Q/A is a plugin. Vanilla is called vanilla becuase it is a pluggable system, and the core is kept vanilla.

grep is your friend.