Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Category Problems: Can't select category when posting, Can't select & drag when managing

boardwalkboardwalk New
edited September 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
  1. Posting

When I try to create new discussion, I have a visual of category list, but can't select it.
However, if I uncheck the option 'Display root categories as headings', it is possible to be selected.

1. Managing

I can't select & drag categories on back-end category managing.
I think I am doing right as tutorials.

I'm using Vanilla 2.1.2 on locahost.
'Pockets' is the only plugin enabled.
My browsers are IE11 and Chrome the latest version.

I am pretty new to Vanilla forum. trying to get accustomed to it...
I've searched discussions about my problem, but coudn't find any solution.
Would you help me please?

PS. Why there is '1. Managing' instead of '2. Managing' in this text? I wrote '2' but '1' is printed out :-(

5.png 18.4K

Comments

• When I try to create new discussion, I have a visual of category list, but can't select it. However, if I uncheck the option 'Display root categories as headings', it is possible to be selected.

you cannot select root categories and post in them. thats normal behavior

I can't select & drag categories on back-end category managing

IE has had problems in past (not sure if there is still one, should work in other browsers, if you don't have a js error, which you can check with web developer tools.

One can only guess what version you are using out of 3-4 possible versions of vanilla. Do you know what version NUMBER you have?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• boardwalkboardwalk New
    edited September 2014

Wow.. Thank you for this quick response!! (Unlike my previous forum software community.)

LOL. Root categories can't be selected.... I didn't know about that. Thanks a lot :)

and.. Version Number? You mean version of Vanilla? I downloaded 'vanilla-core-2-1-2'

Oh... Yes I have a JS error. 'Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a fuction'
    /js/global.js
    line 313 gdn.url('/utility/sethouroffset.json'),

Would you tell me more about this @peregrine‌ ?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

Would you tell me more about this @peregrine‌ ?

my remarks are in the announcement :) did you read them? I never understand why people don't read the comments in the announcements, to me it would be the thing to do. Don't mean to chastise you in particular, but often people are so narrowly focused on things they ignore the obvious comments in the announcment.
    But then again, maybe you didn't realize the impact of the global.js error.

you can try - this if you like....

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/214810/#Comment_214810

if you do try it the changes I proposed it would be good if you posted what the result of using the global.js I posted, and if it fixed the issue moving categories. as well as posting your results in in the Announcement I linked you to.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• boardwalkboardwalk New
    edited September 2014

Hmm I didn't read all the comments before. OK, I will check it from now.

Anyway, thank you for the information. My problems have solved because of you.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

did you replace the global.js? IF so, please post in the announcement if it solved it.

so it gives some confirmation to my suggested change and others know what you did.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/214810/#Comment_214810

• boardwalkboardwalk New
    edited September 2014

I moved that code from line 309 into 1177.
    I see, it works like that.. OK I will make a comment in the announcement.

• In addtion, I just realized, Now I can select root categories by editting global.js

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

thx. for trying it the suggested change and reporting results. glad it fixed the drag and drop in dashboard.

• boardwalkboardwalk New
    edited September 2014

I wanted to add the link which I commented in the announcement.
    But I don't know how to add the link with specific comment, like you did it above.
    Is it just typing manually? Because I cannot see the button to make a link to comment....
    I think I need more study on this lol.

• right click on the time of the comment that you want to reference. (the permalink so to speak) and choose "copy link or whatever option your browser gives you related to that"

then cut and paste the link in the discussion you want to post it into

• I see~! I thought I coudn't find a built in button from Vanilla.

Thanks again.