Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

What is Vanilla 2.1 supposed to do after posting a comment?

I recently had my site updated from 2.0.8.xx to the latest 2.1.2.

Now, when I post a comment, nothing happens after I hit 'Post Comment', other than the comment I just wrote disappearing from the text editor.

Is it supposed to refresh the page and show the new comment?

I know the auto-refresh thing doesn't happen anymore, but I find it kinda weird that nothing happens.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

It should behave as it does here on this side. Most probably you have some JS errors. Enabling Firebug or something like that and watch the console for error messages

• Latest Vanilla 2.1.2 has js problem. How they called it as Stable??

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• OK thanks guys. I'll see if my developer can fix this.

It sucks because after you post a comment, it's like nothing happened, and people are double posting a lot.

• @R_J - I just re-read your Comment, so you're saying that after I post a Comment, it should just appear on the same page without a full page refresh, because that's what's happening on this site.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Yes, that's how it should be. But have you seen this? http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/215022/#Comment_215022

• OK I thought that feature disappeared because of other Discussions talking about something like this...

I've read through that and will be upgrading to 2.1.2 and applying those changes, hopefully that fixes my issues.

Thanks for your time!

• So I updated to 2.1.2 and applied the global.js fix (before 2.1.3 was released) and still, after posting a Comment, the comment disappears from the editor but does not appear on the page.

Would anyone be willing to check it out?

http://forum.test.powerdojo.com
    user: guestuser
    pass: test2014

I'm stumped.

• @ericwongmma logon didn't work

grep is your friend.

• Damn only SSO works right now... sorry about this - I'll have to figure this out and will repost.

• OK so I created a working login:

usr : demouser
    paswd : dem0us3r

• x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2014

@‌ericwongmma

disable Page Speed on the fly minifcation and obfuscation of javascript is a flawed concept (you cannot prevent errors from occuring) and look at this

http://forum.test.powerdojo.com/cache/ps/library.4108050209.js

Completely empty. Not good.

you might try my Consolidate plugin

grep is your friend.

• @x00 - thanks for the feedback, I disabled the plugin completely but it's still not working the way it should.

Anybody here looking for some work?

• That made debuging easier.

The problem is the theme. The data is being received, but the selector it hopes to insert into ul.Comments doesn't exist.

$(json.Data).prependTo('ul.Comments');

I'll PM you regarding consultancy.

grep is your friend.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

you've got a js error on the main page. different issue though.

$(document).ready(function() {
            $("#eventCalendar").eventCalendar({
                jsonData: ,    // syntax error here.
                txt_noEvents : "You didn't log any workouts this month",
                cacheJson: false,
                showDayNameInCalendar: false,
                jsonDateFormat: 'human',
            //  openEventInNewWindow: true,
                showDescription: true // also it can be false
            });

you can pm me if you don't get any help. At least we can test to find where the other errors are.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

also do you have the same problem with default theme? when using buttonbar plugin.

edited:
    Ahh, I see x00 already commented on that and offered to consult on theme. Didn't notice. Carry on, x00 :)
    You're in good hands with x00.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Good point @peregrine I just tested with the default theme and there's no issue, so definitely a theme problem.

• Is smiley supported in vanilla 2.1.3 ??

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@‌Irfanalam123

Why have you posted that question in this thread?

Please start a new thread.