Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"New Post" Icon

Hey,
can anybody tell me, how to add an icon that shows up when there are new posts?
I changed my theme and now it happens that this icon doesn't show up. I only got icons for "closed" and "announciation".
I looked up the css if it's just hidden or something like that, but can't find a clue.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Try to make a test user account and see if the new appears.

• my testuser doesn't get that icon, too :(
    I think it may be just missing in the new theme. Is there a way to add it again?

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited January 2014

Welcome to the community. What version number of Vanilla and theme are you using?

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• cicacica New
    edited January 2014

version 2.0.18.9
    theme: Traditional Chocolate version 20120424 by mcuhq

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

If you are using that theme make sure you also add the plugin that goes with it. This code is for the default theme. See if your theme has it somewhere, otherwise add it and see if it works

.DataList .Meta strong {
    border-radius: 2px;
    -moz-border-radius: 2px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 2px;
    background: #FF0;
    color: #000;
    font-size: 9px;
    font-weight: bold;
    padding: 3px;
    line-height: 1;
    }

• The plugin is installed and everything else works just fine.
    I added the code you posted but it changed nothing, I tried it with my testuser and my admin-acc.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited January 2014

Open the /themes/TraditionalChocolate/views/discussions/helper_functions.php file from Traditional Chocolate version 20120424.

Scroll to line 72 of the file and find this:

//                if ($Session->IsValid() && $Discussion->CountUnreadComments > 0)
    //                    echo '<strong>' . Plural($Discussion->CountUnreadComments, '%s New', '%s New Plural') . '</strong>';

Remove the double slashes at the beginning of both lines and the "New" tag should show up on posts in the discussions list. You may have to add in some extra styling to custom.css if it looks out of place.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• thank you! it worked :)

• lamentlament
    edited September 2014

Hi all,

Not to hijack this, but I'm having a similar problem. Just updated to from 2.0.x to 2.1.2 and started having problems (then just updated to 2.1.3).

New post icons are showing up intermittently. I'm using Bitter Sweet 1.0.

I've enabled the debugger - what should I be looking for?

I logged in with a test account that hadn't logged into the site in months, and it only showed new posts for 1 topic.

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• lamentlament
    edited September 2014

@peregrine‌ is this functionality new as of 2.1.x?

Am I adding that to the Bitter Sweet custom.css?

And should that be .HasNew?

• try it in custom.css of your theme. generally a good idea just clone themes and add customization to custom.css

see - http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/214717/#Comment_214717

copy bittersweet to a new theme folder and change the about to match your new theme name.

folder and theme name in about.php neeed to match

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• lamentlament
    edited September 2014

I added the CSS to custom.css and added $Definition['new discussion'] = 'new discussion'; to config.php.

Unfortunately it didn't work.

Did the core functionality change in 2.1 of how new posts are displayed though? What's the difference between HasNew and JustNew?

edit: I just looked and .JustNew is display:none; ?

Basically I'd like the old functionality back - show "New" on any post I haven't read yet.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

@lament said:
    I added the CSS to custom.css and added $Definition['new discussion'] = 'new discussion'; to config.php.

Unfortunately it didn't work.

Did the core functionality change in 2.1 of how new posts are displayed though? What's the difference between HasNew and JustNew?

edit: I just looked and .JustNew is display:none; ?

Basically I'd like the old functionality back - show "New" on any post I haven't read yet.

post a link to site and a screen shot (of what you have) and circle what you want changed and what wording) and we can probably help.

as far as what was, why or did, don't know.

if you are talking about 2.1.x you are in the wrong category this was in 2.0, and the discussion seems to be about traditional chocolate theme. Best to start a new discussion, if you haven't resolved.

http://vanillaforums.org/badge/anniversary-9 :) congrats.

if you added this to your custom.css of theme that is being used.

.HasNew, .JustNew {
        display: inline;
        margin-right: 5px;
        }

it should be reflected. if it says display none you need to find out where it gets set to none.

you could always put !important or make it more specific if it is overriden.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @peregrine‌

I changed the CSS, added to the config, cleared the CSS cache - and I'm good now.

Thanks for taking the time!