Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is the Chat Wall and Recent Activity Feed the same thing?

TownFishTownFish New
edited September 2014 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm just confused on the purpose of the Recent Activity feed it looks like it should be list of all your actions as a user but then why would this be public. And then it has the ability to add comments into it but then why would you want to clog up the conversation with all your actions?

Also I noticed on this site that my Activity of actions is not being recorded on my profile page, it seems to have been set to only allow for conversation - how do you set it like this?

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Is the Chat Wall and Recent Activity Feed the same thing?

Yes ..... :disappointed_relieved:

Actions such as "browsing thread x" or "Posted a ne comment" are not part of the Activity. Those get recorded on separate lists of your profile. Here on this forum the lists contain your discussions and your comments.

• blame facebook et al.

I personally hate anything activity related. Pointless drivel, by then again people like to know what time their collogues are taking their morning constitutional, so who am I to disagree.

grep is your friend.

• Ok so is it possible to make this only a chat wall and have no user actions displaying in it?

• well there are hooks you can use filter, but it require developer knowledge.

grep is your friend.

• are you using vanilla 2.0.x?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

I personally dislike the activity feed in facebook. It is intrusive and there is no way to prevent everything you do from being posted in people's timelines. I don't want the world to know what I like or what I said. Facebook apart from being a phonebook on steroids, is a stalking fomenter and enabler...

Plus the amount of misinformation going around is absurd...

I do think there should be a way to at least not show yourself in the forum activity feed at all. Granted that would render it obsolete...

• personally I dislike facebook.

grep is your friend.

• I'm using 2.1 actually just posted it in the wrong category.

What I really want here are 2 things:

1. The ability as a user to view my past actions in a feed but it be private to me - probably not possible with this feature and requires a custom built plugin.

2. A basic Chat wall that is public and only allows a conversation between me (the user) and anyone else, and if I did not approve of something posted by someone else I can delelete their comment - can this be done with the current activity feed like it seems to be on this site?

edited September 2014

Sadly no...You can only delete your own comment in the Activity section. To delete other's comments you need to delete the whole post. But only if you posted it.... :(