Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Notification Question

Got 2.1 running today with great help from the forum members. In the old 2.0 forum software I was running emailsubscribe and emaildiscussion. Those appear to not be usable in 2.1 as is. I see there is a way now in 2.1 to mark a tickbox in the user profile that will allow subscription to discussions. Wouldl this send an email notification to the user? If so, it appears that all the tickboxes are unchecked. Since I can't seem to get emails sent by starting a new discussion to users that don't have the tickboxes checked do I have to manually tick all those boxes for each users to get the email notifications sent? There must be another way.

Comments

• These are the config options that set the default email preferences if a user hasn't set them:

$Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ConversationMessage'] = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['BookmarkComment'] = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ParticipateComment'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['WallComment'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ActivityComment'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionComment'] = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['Mention'] = '0';

Just copy them into your config.php (and change them to fit your needs)

• Ok,

Well it appears that those extra settings are only available to the admin. I created a test user with different role and the option to tick the notification boxes are not available for anyone but the admin. Is there no way in 2.1 to notify a member that a new post has been created on the forum by another member?

• Well it appears that those extra settings are only available to the admin

those are the settings that get initialized for all new users FROM the point you changed the config.

it doesn't change the settings for existing users.

there are permissions in the role.

yes advanced notifications - but it is not recommended. since it puts alot in the queue.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/170014#Comment_170014

if you post your config.php (minus the sensitive information passwords etc).

and a screenshot of the permissions for the role that has the problem.

and a screenshot of the perferences show via

http://localhost/vanilla/index.php?p=/profile/preferences/THEUSERID/THRNAMEOFUSER

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Ok peregrine,

I think what I need to do is not possible with 2.1. I was trying to do what the old emailsubscribe plugin was doing. My user base is small but different members post bulletins for this such as meeting notices, tournament results, upcoming tournaments, etc. Those posts need to be sent to all the members of certain roles. I can't make them all administrators but I need a way to generate an alert to members that a post was created and at least have the title of the post or the name of the poster in the email so the members can check the forum for the information. Again, I am not a "coder" and unless I can find a plugin that will work as well as emailsubscribe I am going to have to revert to 2.0.

I liked 2.1. It seems to much more "solid" than 2.0 and more polished. From a user viewpoint it is very nice. Maybe down the road someone will write an plugin that will do what we need for 2.1 and I will give it another go.

Thanks,

Dan

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator
    edited September 2014

I wouldn't go back, 2.0 will only be supported 3 more months.

Instead, why don't you post the issues you had with the emailsubscribe plugin here?

I quickly looked over the plugin and saw &$Sender in some places.
    Try replacing every occurence of &$Sender with $Sender and check if it is working.

If not, go into debug mode and post any error messages you get here.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

I can't make them all administrators but I need a way to generate an alert to members that a post was created

if Bleistivt's suggestion for plugin doesn't work. But the core has the same basic option, although its not recommended for the same reason email subscribe wouldn't be great for large forums (lots of members and posts).

I think you may not follow the meaning of the advanced notification check in a role.
    you don't have to make them all administrators. just check advanced notifications for the role members.

I don't know how it will work for a small forum, maybe it won't be a problem. In a large forum it would most likely be an issue

if checked in member role.

then members will see something like this and have options for categories.

P.S. I think you are making it hard for yourself by second-guessing things and not posting the info requested to make it easier to give you a better answer to your questions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks Bleistivt and peregrine. I switched back to 2.1 and did the edits suggested by @Bleistivt. Email Subscribe seems to be working with those edits. Only problem I am seeing is the first line of the forum has the word $Sender at the top of every page. Have to sort that out yet.

• Also have the word $Sender after the Applicants and after the Moderation Queue menu in the dashboard.

Applicants $Sender
    Modration Queue $Sender

Dan

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator
    edited October 2014

You probably added it somewhere outside of the <?php ... ?> tags in the default.php by accident.

• you probably added code or changed things incorrectly.

if you are not going to use the core feature, which does the same thing as you want.

post your questions under the plugin in question - so it helps other people.

i.e. - if you have questions about emailsubsvribe - go to the plugin and strart a new discussion, stating what you did and what your problem is.

that said, I would delete the emailsubscribe folder, download the plugin again

and user your text editor to search and replace &$Sender with $Sender in default.php of the plugin.

• catagory advanced notification not checked. member want to check one by one. my forum has "general" named catagory, please give me a excample for that catagory. i add belowe codes in config-defaults.php but it not working.
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['NewDiscussion'] = '1'; $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['NewComment'] = '1';

• @inno4du‌ please open a separate discussion for your problem.

These settings only work for users that haven't already set individual preferences.

• Thanks Bleistivt and peregrine, I screwed up the edit. Did it again and all is well with no extra characters. I think the plugin is working fine now in 2.1.3. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks for all the help! Great support forum. If a moderator would want to move this to the emailsubscribe plugin addon forum that would be great. Will be able to stick to 2.1 now that I have this feature back.