Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

ExcludeCategories not working

ExcludeCategories addon don't seem to be working on Vanilla version 2.1.3.
It installed without issues but nothing happens when "save" button on the setting is clicked on.
The discussion(s) that supposed to be hidden still shows up. Please any possible solution to this?

Tagged:

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Do you know, that from Vanilla >= 2.1 you can select "[ ] Hide from the recent discussions page." when you edit a category in the dashboard?
    That was the purpose of ExcludeCategories the time I have written it because Vanilla 2.0 had no option for something like that. Please give feedback if you have needed it for any other reason or if the standard Vanilla feature is what you have been looking for.

• ProsperProsper ✭✭
    edited October 2014

@R_J
    Yes, I know about that "Hide from the recent discussions page" feature on version 2.1. I have used it but have issue with it. This is the issue I have with that feature. When I select "Hide from the recent discussions page" for a particular category, the category gets hidden from recent discussions. However, when I log-out from admin, and click on "Categories" link to View Discussions and Categories on the forum, the category that was meant to be hidden ONLY from RECENT DISCUSSIONS gets hidden too (which is strange). I want the category to be hidden only from the recent discussion as that is the home page of the forum but should be visible to guest and members if they click on the "categories" link to see all the available categories on the forum. So this is why I start looking for another addon that might be suitable.

Please, is there a way of making the hidden category to be visible when the "categories" link is clicked on?

I can confirm that behaviour: "Hide from the recent discussions page" hides categories also in category view for guests. That is a bug.

I will do some research and give feedback.

Ah, no - they are visible for admins in /categories, but not for non admin users/guests. That might be a wanted behavior. I'll file it on GitHub

I've filed an issue on GitHub for that.

Forget about my plugin ExcludeCategories for 2.1. Maintaining that doesn't make sense to me, since the intended functionality is in the core.

But for your problem I've created a small fix. Essentially it checks if the current page is the recent discussions page and if not, it shows also categories that are marked with "Hide from recent discussions".

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/revealcategories-plugin

• Thanks. The new "revealcategories" addon works perfectly.

Nice to hear that :)