HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to find out more when "Enable" button fails with no error

I'm using 2.2.16.6 and trying to install Vanilla API 0.2.0. I hit "Enable", it tries briefly, then reloads the page. There are no error messages. I'm wondering what the significance of this is, and how to best find out more details about what might be going wrong. (Not looking for Vanilla API help, just wondering what to do when this sort of 'Enable' issue happens.

Best Answer

Answers

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Do you know that the 2.2 branch is for developers only? If you do not know how to debug and to fix you should use version 2.1 (if you look at the top of this page, you'll find a link to 2.1.5, which is the most current stable version).

Search this forum on "how to debug" or something like that ;)

• Issue solved over on the github. My understanding was that API required 2.2.x+ which is why I went with it. I'm happy to debug and fix, just needed to know how to get the debug data to show.

After adding $Configuration['Debug'] = true; to config.php things have been falling into place. Thanks!

• Thanks RJ I"ll definitely read the links! API is vital for our usage - it'll be a little while before we take it live - security and stability are absolutely vital to us. Alternately, if there's another best practice apart from API for having a separate code cool make calls to pull dicussions, push posts etc. I am happy to RTFM. If someone can supply the relevant links it would be much appreciated (though I'll continue digging). Before we go live I'll make sure I have at least a passing understanding of the framework and its ins and outs.

I'm enjoying learning the ins and outs of Vanilla development. Coming from a long time phpBB customization background on a project that involves deep integration, Vanilla is looking fantastic, and I hope that after a month or so of getting up to speed with the code, I'll be in a position to help out a little around the community.