HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

"Add to home screen" - Integration

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi all,

I'd wanted your Feedback on AppIcon-Bookmarking on Home-Screens of Smartphones. Still a lot of smartphone users are not capable of saving a bookmark to their screen of a website or even think about it. Especially for communities the reminder and the continuos return of a user is important.

Just one example might be, that my communities have a lot of users who are posting their first comment with the information that they have been reading the forums now for quiet some months (and now they decided to join). Sure there are many cases that could help gain traffic and probable users. One very important is to get memorized. An App-Icon does that greatly (that is why i use Tapatalks BYO additionally > but it sorrowly still has quiet some bugs, btw. now ready for Vanilla 2.1+).

One nice and very popular example is Cubiq.org's integration of a bookmarking helper.
http://cubiq.org/add-to-home-screen

So to make a point: What nice and lightweight integrations do you know to get a Web-App-Icon on the Home-Screen of a user? Any scripts you know of? I'm asking because it might be an idea to create a small configurable plugin for Vanilla. With 3 or 4 fields in the backend for integrating a text, link and picture.

Thanx for inputs,
phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments