HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Email Confirmation Role

Hi,

I have the problem when members joining my forum, they confirm their email, but then are repeatedly asked to confirm their email even after they have already done so each time when signing in.

I have registration set to basic, but on the drop down list under the Email Confirmation Role all I have is member, moderator, and administrator. There is a blank space at top but when I select this I get an error.

Under roles and permissions I have the Confirm Email role there, but it isn't showing up in the Email Confirmation Role list on the registration page settings. So I can only select member, therefore I think this is causing the confirm email message loop.

How can I fix this?

Version 2.1.3

Ps I'm no expert in code

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Email Confirmation Role is Guest until they confirm, then they become members. By Using member as an email confirm you have caused that all people have to confirm because they are members.

You need to change the email confirm role to guest.

edited November 2014

You leave the comfirm email people as that, it may be confusing that the first option is the title of the selector button, but you just leave it like that . The other options are applicant member mod and admin you would not select any of those for this registration method.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

upgrade to vanilla 2.1.6 first and then run /utility/update and /utility/structure.

after you upgrade

Betelgeuse101 said: Under roles and permissions I have the Confirm Email role there
    but it isn't showing up in the Email Confirmation Role list on the registration page settings

try resetting roles

via

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/219688/#Comment_219688

and then see if you have more options from the dropdown box.

if that doesn't work

post your config.php (minus passwords and othere sensitive data).

I also recommend not using botstop in vanilla 2.1, since it has 2.0 vanilla views.

you can use addregistration question plugin. (you can read the readme in that plugin).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Yes that's the point I can't get anything else to list apart from member, moderator, and admin

edited November 2014

What does the selector button say before you click on it to get the menu dropdown ?

It should say Confirm Email .... that is the selection you want not the others.

Confirm Email does not appear in the dropdown because it is the default option .

• @Betelgeuse101 said:
    Yes that's the point I can't get anything else to list apart from member, moderator, and admin

re-read my message and then after you upgrade, we should discuss.

until then further debugging really isn't worth it on an insecure forum.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Ok thanks I'll get back to you on this.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2014

I also recommend not using botstop in vanilla 2.1, since it has 2.0 vanilla views.

you can use addregistration question plugin. (you can read the readme in that plugin).

I also want to point out there are numerous themes out there:

that modify views and helper functions and have not been upgraded with vanilla 2.1 views (fixes to security and and fixes for triggers)

if you have a theme and you go to the views folder and the theme is older than a few months (or even vanilla 2.1.6)
    you may have not solved all your security issues (and you definitely don't have the most recent correct events to fire upon). My suggestion would be not to use any themes that have modified helper_functions or views that are pre vanilla official release date 2.1

e.g. if you go to your theme and go into the views folder of the theme and see folders like these.

be careful.

anytheme/views/