Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

In a bittersweet situation with Vanilla

edited February 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
well i will show you all an early mock up of what my team and I have for this large mac community site we are working on http://godlovesaliar.net/macpose-mockie-03.jpg vanilla would go perfectly with this site because of its simplicity and style but i am worreid about vanilla's features. i understand that vanilla is undergoing constant developement and is still new but it's the only thing holding us back from using it. we want features such as private messaging notificiation (when you have recieved a whisper in a thread), quoting, sticky or permenant posts, signatures, polls, a toolbar (simple buttons for Bold font, italics, etc) for when writing a reply, contact info such as aim, msn, yahoo, or icq account info in site registration and profiles. i understand this is not phpbb but some of these things should be present. im not bashing vanilla at all im just in a wierd spot on whether to use it or not. its beautiful but lacks things that i know would be need. i also know some of these things can be done by extensions but are the extensions good enough? question: i also know some of these things can be done by extensions but are the extensions good enough? ps: things like a member list and putting it in a new tab i think i can handle.

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    private messaging notificiation

Easily done as an extension

quoting

Already being done as an extension

sticky or permenant posts

Already exists in the core

signatures

I'm pretty sure someone on here is working on this. Could have sworn I saw a thread about it.

polls

Not in Vanilla at all. Can be done as an extension, but a helluva lot of work

a toolbar (simple buttons for Bold font, italics, etc) for when writing a reply

Again, hard extension

contact info such as aim, msn, yahoo, or icq account info in site registration and profiles

You can already do this using the custom fields, but could also be done as an extension.

Conclusion

Vanilla is still young, so it will be a while until it has everything you need. I wouldn't feel bad about picking something else for the time being if I were you. Come on back down the road and see if Vanilla is ready for you yet.
  • There's a poll extension for 0.9.3
  • one of the things about macpose is originality and concept which is why i love vanilla. vanilla is very conceptual and orignal which is tough to find in forums these daya. Mark no matter what, I will use Vanilla because I plan on using Swell as well due to its integration with one another. in macpose we planned on having user sumbitted reviews and news and since vanilla and swell are integrated we are definately considering on waiting for swell. thank you for all the hard work you have been putting into your products, they are the best. long live lussumo products lol. i will try the extensions that are currently out there.
This discussion has been closed.